Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Drive Names

I have installed a new external hard drive. After installing the new drive, it was given a drive name L. After connecting a pin drive, this drive was given the Drive letter L and the external drive was moved to M. This messes up my shortcuts. My computer has several drives that are not being used, but I do not know how to assign this new external drive to one of these. Can someone advise me how to change one of these unused drives to the new exxternal drive?

Thanks!

Charles H. Parker
    Savannah, Ga.

Thanks
    Hi Charles, normally, the internal fitted drives are assigned a letter starting from 'C'. Usb drives are at the discretion of the order you first use them. If you want the drive letters for usb's can be changed, but in my experience the get mixed up again.
    Once things settle, change your shortcuts.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

mike1111 (2011-10-06)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
    . Can someone advise me how to change one of these unused drives to the new external drive?
    Charles ,
    Hello... You can change things around ...but when you disconnect things ,Windows will choose a letter assignment when you reconnect something ... But here's how you can do it ...go to
    1. Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management> Then right click on the drive you want and select "Change letters and drive path" Then select the letter that you want to apply (drop down) , click yes, when asked if you are sure etc. "X" out....Done... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

mike1111 (2011-10-06)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also leave drive letter space between the internals and the first semi-permanent external drive letter assignment. That way it won't push your drives further along if other temp drives are added because there are drive letters available between.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Charles,

I use USB Drive Letter Manager to give me some control over USB drvie letter assignment. YMMV
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, that explains why shared network drive letters start at Z and work backwards. I always knew it had to have something to do with minimizing conflicts but never exactly why.