New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem is that xcopy fails when copying Documents on My Music, WIN 7

I can't recreate it right now, but I do have a problem with Windows 7.

I have a lot of customers who don't want to invest in a backup system that's hard to use and intrusive. So I have them buy a properly sized flash disk, and give them an icon pointing to an xcopy statement in a .bat file.

Something like XCOPY "C:\USERS\DOCUMENTS" "F:\DOCUMENTS BACKUP" /D /V /E /Y /H

This fails in Windows 7 because it inevitably wants to create a MY MUSIC folder, which does not even exist in the DOCUMENTS folder.

Access denied Unable to create directory - F:\Documents\My Music
    I haven't come across an explanation of how to fix this, short of removing the /H (hidden files) switch, which is not acceptable because sometimes some useful hidden files are stored in DOCUMENTS. I'm doing this because I have to.

Anybody have a real solution that will let me backup the users' files without losing the hidden files?

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Mike,

There are two options for XCOPY that you might look at:

1. /EXCLUDE:file, which is a file that lists files and directories that should *not* be copied, and
    2. /C, which continues copying even if errors occur.

Good Luck,
    Randy

Thanks
    The 3 folders My Music, My Pictures and My Videos in a user's Documents folder are not real folders, they are junctions and as such cannot be accessed.

Exclude those in your xcopy, as suggested by Randy.

Instead, be sure to back up

C:\users\<username>\Music
    C:\users\<username>\Pictures
    C:\users\<username>\Videos

Which is where they REALLY are.

Jock

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I would not entrust any valuable data to a flash drive. I've seen and read about too many that just quit working, lose their file structure, or have data just disappear. There are other more reliable and fairly inexpensive backup media available. Personally, I'd recommend they use multiple external hard drives and rotate them.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe... I agree in my own case, but these are mostly seniors who have 20 or 30 documents, no movies or music. I do have them rotate two if they choose to spend the extra money. It's hard enough getting them to remove them safely. Which I don't trust, by the way. It says it's safe to remove while I still see blinking light activity on the flash drive. I always tell them to wait a bit before pulling it out.

I guess the question is WHY Microsoft chooses to create these directories when they are not in the Documents structure, just to make things difficult for people. They don't show up even as hidden or system files, so why are they xcopied? I even tried pre-creating the folder and it still didn't work, which makes no sense at all.

I do prefer the combination of /h and /c to let the copy continue and just ignore those anomalies.

Thanks to all!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See post #3 for an explanation of what they are. You have told XCOPY to attempt to copy everything so Junction points will be included. See Wikipedia - NTFS Junction Points for a discussion of junction points.

In Windows Explorer you can change the view settings to display Protected System Files and those folders will appear. In a command window, you can use a dir /al or dir /as to see the folders.

These Junction Points have been created to establish a way for older programs to be able to operate successfully in the updated Windows 7 user folder structure. My Music, My Pictures and My Videos were in the "My Documents" structure in XP but have been moved in Windows 7.

Joe