Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Patching and a firewall may be all you need to keep safe

Well the title may not be valid for all circumstances, but doing what is stated there can go a very long way towards that goal.
    The reasoning behind is explained by Ed Bott, based on an extensive study done on computers running Windows XP:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/if-yo...e_skin;content

If anything, it stresses the security advantage of keeping your system up to date. That should include Java and Adobe products!

Thanks
    Nice article Rui. This just increases my opinion that a multi-level approach works best for total PC security. This approach includes:

1) fully patched PC - this means all apps updated. Who knows which app will provide the door for malicious intent.

2) a strong forewall, both a software firewall (Online Armor++ ) and a hardware firewall in my router.

3) a fully patched AV/AM app running in real time (I use MSE) - notice I stated a (indicates one) fully patched AV/AM app. I also firmly believe having more than 1 AV/AM app running in real time can cause conflicts between the apps. There are some exceptions to this rule, but generally this is a rule most agree with.

note: It is interesting to note that MS now includes MSE (renamed back to Windows Defender) as a default AV/AM app in Win 8 DP. You can install the AV/AM app of your choice which disables Windows Defender, but I am so comfortable with MSE that I see no reason to switch when using Win 8 DP

4) I use a sandbox app (I use Sandboxie) when surfing unknown sites.

5) And one of the biggest culprits : the user's habits. Watch where you surf. Watch what you click. Be suspicious of any unexpected pop ups. If these pop ups occur, use Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) to kill it.

Using these "rules" I have kept my PC's virus and malware free. Obviously no security scheme is absolutely foolproof, and no security scheme can be 100% safe, but I feel as close as I can get with my multi-layered approach.

I hope this scheme will assist someone else to protect their security as well.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-10-07 at 17:34.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Nice article Rui. This just increases my opinion that a multi-level approach works best for total PC security. This approach includes:

5) And one of the biggest culprits: the user's habits. Watch where you surf. Watch what you click. Be suspicious of any unexpected pop ups. If these pop ups occur, use Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) to kill it.
    Now Ted, What fun would this be????????? LOL
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-10-07 at 22:09. Reason: Repaired quote tag.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Habit & personal behavior is probably 90% of your security.
    Even an old dog can catch the flu, the difference will be in the ability to recover quickly.

Thanks
    Perhaps not fun, but much safer! As Clint states, a user's personal behavior is a large factor in this equation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Habit & personal behavior is probably 90% of your security.
    ...and a hardware firewall (router with UPnP turned off) so one only needs to keep the skins peeled on the front door, nothing is going to sneak in the back door or through the windows or down the chimney, if you're situated at home; and I've always said its 99+%.
    Often the protection can be worse than the bite; many folks know plenty of McAffee and Norton stories but just in general things run significantly better and longer without security packages looking over your shoulder all the time...and even then ineffective many a time. How many times does Leo LaPorte field a call about infection, and the caller invariably says, 'but I was using NOD32,' ....and Leo has to start the spiel...every week, the same representative call.