3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalling Win7

I am sure someone has discussed this before but I haven't been able to find it.

My main computer system appears to have suffered a failure on the motherboard. It is an HP Pavilion system from 2007. I don't even get the HP splash screen when I turn the system on. Although I haven't verified this yet, it is my belief that the hard drive is intact. My data is backed up on both DVDs and a flash drive but I had not done an image of the drive recently. I am using Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I know that Win7 will complain if you try to run it on a system with a new motherboard. My question is will the system start at all if I were to replace the motherboard, processor and memory and use the drive; or, put the drive into a new system.

My copy of Win 7 is a retail copy and I have the Product Key.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nate,

I believe you'ld have to replace the Mobo drivers, then after booting up (probably) make a phone call to Microsoft, but their phone reactivation procedure is quite user-friendly. These references may help:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/23081...therboard.html

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-a-motherboard

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2011-10-07 at 12:33.

Thanks
    Nate, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

What's the worse that could happen. You might need to reinstall Win 7 from scratch. I think what I would do is to go ahead and try it. You must have use of a PC, download all drivers you might need onto a flash drive (after you have acquired the parts you need, whether parts for the old PC or a new PC) Zig is correct in that you will in all probability have to call MS to activate. I have had to on a couple of instances in the past and it seemed quite painless.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post

My main computer system appears to have suffered a failure on the motherboard. It is an HP Pavilion system from 2007. I don't even get the HP splash screen when I turn the system on.
    nate,
    Hello ... I think that you may be "jumping the gun" here... thinking that the "mobo" is toast... ( also where would you get a replacement that would fit the same layout?)... HP charges Huge amounts of $$$$ for replacement parts.. One time i contacted HP for a replacement hard drive 360GB and they wanted over $300.... Found much better deals from "Directron" and "New Egg" .. On to the problem ...
    1. How do you know it's the "MOBO" ?
    2. How do you know it's not the Power Supply?
    3. Are you sure it's not the HD dragging down the Power Supply?

See there are a lot of variables that have nothing to do with the "MOBO" ... could even be something as simple as a bad Capacitor on one of the power supply rails ... Lets do a little "trouble shooting" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I know that Win7 will complain if you try to run it on a system with a new motherboard.
    It may complain if the new motherboard has a different chipset from that currently installed. Earlier this year I replaced my mobo & CPU with a very similar setup and Win7 didn't even bat an eyelid upon restarting.

My question is will the system start at all if I were to replace the motherboard, processor and memory and use the drive; or, put the drive into a new system.
    I'm afraid that is try it and see.

Fortunately you have a retail version of Win7 so you shouldn't have any problems getting it reactivated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Come to think if it, Fred's right, especially if you don't hear a power supply fan. Best to start with a new, inexpensive power supply to see if that's the problem.

Zig

Thanks
    I know that Win7 will complain if you try to run it on a system with a new motherboard. My question is will the system start at all if I were to replace the motherboard, processor and memory and use the drive; or, put the drive into a new system.

My copy of Win 7 is a retail copy and I have the Product Key.
    The more similar your replacemnt board, the less problems you will have with just putting your old drive in and having it boot up.
    If you can get your os to boot under those circumstances, then you will have much more to work with.
    You'll have a good thing going for you in that you have a retail copy of your os. [big plus over OEM]

But like others have said, you'll want to troubleshoot the board and or it's components prior to replacing.
    What are the circumstances surounding the failure?
    Is your current PSU [RATED] capable of handling all of your installed hardware?
    Have you been getting error mesages leading up to this failure?
    Have you smelled any burning just prior to the failure?
    What is running in terms of fans and lights from a cold start?
    The first thing I'd start with is the BIOS, remove the battery for a few minutes and reset the BIOS. Attempt to boot to BIOS.
    If failure, then start troubleshooting from a bare-bones type of installation where all but the most minimal components are attached to the motherboard.
    Do a thorough inspection of the board itself looking for burnt chokes or damaged capacitors.
    It would also help greatly if you have a spare PSU lying around.

How to Troubleshoot a Bad Motherboard
    How to Troubleshoot a Dead Motherboard/Computer
    Your motherboard revealed, part 2

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you get a beep code when you push the button to start? You may have to listen carefully to hear it, but it's a simple thing to look up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied. I purchased a refurbished PC over the weekend, connected everything up, and it worked fine. I also bought an external drive enclosure and the old HD appears to be intact. I have not yet tried to boot from it yet - this would require installing it inside the case (not difficult).

I measured the PS voltages and they were just about correct. All the fans work.

The "new" PC has an AMD CPU while the dead one has an Intel. When I do try the old HD, I will disconnect the new HD so nothing should affect it.