Thanks

Desktop applications taught in school?

I am curious if any other loungers have any information about how (or if) desktop applications are being taught in school, in particular during the senior grades. My sense so far is that while teens may have "Computer" or "Keyboarding" classes that the actual curriculum being presented is rather hit and miss and totally dependent on the skills of the teacher.
    Of course, this could be misinformation based on reports from actual teenagers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked at a few school districts in my area and couldn't find any courses specifically for desktop applications. Many of the course descriptions for courses included training in Word, Excel, etc. but nothing specifically for each application. Probably just an intro to each of them...

Thanks
    Educational institutions can buy the "Academic Version" of MS OFFICE so it can be loaded on multiple PC's.

I can't speak for High Schools, etc. but for adult continuing education, specific apps are taught at local
    Community Education schools and Community Colleges. I've not seen the entire MS Office suite being
    offered, at least not around here. I'd think that would make a great 'Elective' class for High Schools or
    Jr Colleges.

I did take a course in MS Word, almost 20 years ago, at the Community Education Dept. I had already
    been playing around with it at my office, for several months and knew more about it than our instructor.

Cheers mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Hi All,

From 2002-2008 I was teaching both individual Office apps and the entire suite at our local technical college, Central Carolina Technical College and adult education courses at F.E. Dubose Career Center. Had to give it up when we went out in our RV for a year and haven't gotten back into it yet.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I'm teasing round an idea for our local community college for their summer program.
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    Catherine,

I've taught both purchased curriculum and courses I designed myself while working. I've got materials in Word format you're welcome to but they may be a bit dated.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    That's very kind - I'll let you know if this course ever gets off the ground!
    WebGenii Home Page

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Teaching Senior Citizens

I manage a computer training program at our local Senior Center where we offer beginning and intermediate classes on XP, W7, and iMac as well as MS Word and Excel. We also offer one-on-one tutoring on most other subjects such as PPoint, Email and Internet, Access, etc. The class materials are specifically oriented toward seniors who do not learn as fast as the younger crowd and who in many cases have no prior experience with computers so they require some special coaching. It helps a lot in that our classes are limited to three students per instructor. All instructors are volunteers and class tuition is very low covering only our costs for computers and software.
    If interested in teaching seniors don't hesitate to contact me.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

teaching MS Office 2003 in Ontario

In Ontario we have two high school courses in Grades 9 and 11 that focus on all parts of Microsoft Office. In the implementation at my school, I think we did a reasonable job, starting with the basics in Grade 9 and, by Grade 11, getting to more advanced topics such as mail merge in Word, lookup tables in Excel, motion paths in Powerpoint and relational databases in Access. I wrote a complete series of instructions and exercises for the Grade 11 course which I might be able to share online somewhere (any suggestions? Boxnet?), although you should be aware that we are still working with (pre-ribbon)Office 2003.