Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Upgrade to Firefox 7.0.1 problems?

OK, I'm getting tired of the offers to update FF to 7.0.1. Has anyone out there who has already upgraded had any problems with the following add-ons?
    No-Script
    Flash Block
    Ad Block Plus
    Grease Monkey
    WOT
    XMarks
    TACO
    Mail-to-this!

Your comments are awaited and appreciated.

BTW: I forgot to mention I'm currently using 6.0.2
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    try this add-on to 6.0.2 then upgrade this allows for most add ons to be compatible. A lot off add ons are not compatible because they are looking for a specific version, this add on prevents that. It also allows you ro report what add ons are not compatible and they send a report to the author. I know WOT works with Version 7.XXX
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...=1#version-0.9

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    OK, I'm getting tired of the offers to update FF to 7.0.1. Has anyone out there who has already upgraded had any problems with the following add-ons?
    No-Script - Fine
    Flash Block - NA
    Ad Block Plus - Fine
    Grease Monkey - NA
    WOT - NA
    XMarks - NA
    TACO - NA
    Mail-to-this! - NA

Your comments are awaited and appreciated.

BTW: I forgot to mention I'm currently using 6.0.2
    My comments are in "RED".
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    SS & Russ thanks for the info. Have one on me

Russ, do the NA mean you don't use the addon?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks

Update Results

Ok, after checking the RoboForm site and installing the latest version along with the extension suggested by Super Sarge, I upgraded to FF 7.0.1 and everything below works!

No-Script
    Flash Block
    Ad Block Plus
    Grease Monkey
    WOT
    XMarks
    TACO
    Mail-to-this!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG,
    When FF releases a new version, I use Revo then do a clean install.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to uninstall Flash Block, before I could get Adblock Plus to work again. Flash block is'nt compatable with 7.01

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

plug in problem

I use search status 1.36 and the google page rank no longer displays. Bit of a minger FF 7.1, its a bit quicker but no other obvious advantages for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny555 View Post
    I had to uninstall Flash Block, before I could get Adblock Plus to work again. Flash block is'nt compatable with 7.01
    Kenny,

Seems to be working fine on my machine.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gws View Post
    I use search status 1.36 and the google page rank no longer displays.
    There is a comment here about how to fix that: SearchStatus :: Add-ons for Firefox (see Quick PR fix by xecutable).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess i'll give it another shot then.
    Thanks

Thanks
    I'm using FF 9.0a2 as my primary browser, but I also have 7.0.1 and 8.0b2 installed. On all three, I'm using the following extensions:

Adblock Plus
    Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper
    Check Compatibility
    FireFTP
    Google Shortcuts
    IETab 2
    Image Zoom
    Menu Editor
    NoScript
    PrefBar
    Slim Add-ons Manager
    SmoothWheel
    Stylish
    TabMixPlus
    Tiny Menu
    Toolbar Buttons
    Unhide Passwords
    WOT (World of Trust)

The key to using most extensions with newer versions of FF is to increase the maxversion setting in the extension's install.rdf file. If you don't have your extensions on file, you need to download them. After doing so:

1) rename the one you want to work on from (for example) example.xpi to example.zip
    2) unzip example.zip
    3) open the install.rdf file using any text editor, such as notepad
    4) locate the maxversion setting and increase it. I use 50.0
    5) save the changed install.rdf file
    6) rezip all unzipped files and folders
    7) rename example.zip to example.xpi
    8) install the updated extension from FF's Extensions Manager ("Install Add-on from File" from the drop-down menu in the little gear-shaped gizmo at the top of the page)

I can't guarantee that this will work for all extensions, but it should work for most.
    Last edited by JSS3rd; 2011-10-13 at 10:47.

Thanks
    Best Bet prior to installing or upgrading to a newer version of Firefox:

Make a backup of your profile(s).

I use Mozbackup, a standalone program that will make backups of Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey, and Sunbird profiles. It has an editable .ini file in the same folder as the program itself. You can modify the file naming mask to also include the name of the profile--valuable if you have multiple profiles--and specifying where to save the backups--I save them to a subfolder in my dropbox folder. Also, you can choose what and what not to back up including addons contained in within your profile--addons not in your profile and plugins are backed up by Mozbackup.

Then, with a backup available, if there is a problem during the upgrade, you have a backup from which to restore a possibly hosed profile.

There is also the FEBE addon which, if installed in your profile, can, I believe, make a complete backup of your profile, but, also, I believe, can only be used from within a running Firefox. Also, I am not sure if it can be used with the other Mozilla programs.

Second Best Bet:

Install the Addon Compatibility Reporter (ACR) addon. It will disable addon compatibility checking and thus allow you to have use of all your addons before they are formally updated to be compatible with the newer version of Firefox. Having used the most advanced, cutting edge version of Firefox currently known as Nightly, but previously known as Minefield or Trunk for many years now, I do not recall a truly functionally incompatible addon causing me data loss. The worst case typically meant having to (re)start the browser in safe mode and disabling any suspected incompatible addons before restarting the browser, again.

Another nice feature of ACR is within the Addon Mgr. (about:addons), users can report whether an addon they have is or is not compatible with the version of the browser they are running. This reporting will help both the folks at addons.mozilla.org and addon developers know if an addon remains compatible or not.

I just saw a new addon called, I believe, Disable Addon Compatibility Checking or something like. It appears to only disable compatibility checking meaning it is ACR without the reporting function.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JSS3rd View Post
    The key to using most extensions with newer versions of FF is to increase the maxversion setting in the extension's install.rdf file. If you don't have your extensions on file, you need to download them. After doing so:

1) rename the one you want to work on from (for example) example.xpi to example.zip
    2) unzip example.zip
    3) open the install.rdf file using any text editor, such as notepad
    4) locate the maxversion setting and increase it. I use 50.0
    5) save the changed install.rdf file
    6) rezip all unzipped files and folders
    7) rename example.zip to example.xpi
    8) install the updated extension from FF's Extensions Manager ("Install Add-on from File" from the drop-down menu in the little gear-shaped gizmo at the top of the page)

I can't guarantee that this will work for all extensions, but it should work for most.
    If you choose to not install Addon Compatibility Reporter, you can choose to edit the addon as stated above. If you do choose to edit each addon, you can use programs like 7Zip to open the .xpi file (in Windows Explorer, right-click and choose Open Archive), edit the install.rdf file (select and right-click the file and choose Edit), edit and then save the file, close the editor, confirm the saving of the file in 7Zip, and exit from 7Zip. You have then edited the addon all without having to rename, unzip, edit, save, repack and rename the file. (7Zip should automatically recognize .xpi files as zip files.)

Thanks
    Ray ...

I spelled out the long procedure because I wanted to make sure anyone could do it. Personally, I use the much shorter procedure you describe, except that I have to rename the files (WinZipPro 14.5 doesn't recognize .xpi files, although newer versions might).

FWIW, I used to use MozBackup, but found that it's much easier to simply copy the desired profile folder to a different location. Because all of my FF versions use identical profiles (same is true for TB), the chances of losing info due to a munged profile are greatly reduced ... simply delete the bad profile and copy a good one in its place.

Also, because I use a partitioned hard drive, I do NOT use the standard installation when installing FF or TB. Using the custom installation allows me to install FF and TB to designated folders on my D: partition. Using the profile managers allows me to install the profile folders in the same location. The ONLY aspects of either program that must be on the C: partition are the respective profiles.ini files.

mozilla.png
    Last edited by JSS3rd; 2011-10-13 at 13:16.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast