Lounger
    Thanks

Blu-ray stutters

I'd appreciate some help with diagnosing a problem with replaying Blu-ray disks. My usual response to this sort of problem is to tear things apart to find out which bit isnít working but Iím scared to do this with a Blu-ray reproduction system because I believe the system is locked down in ways I do not understand and I fear my diagnostic testing could cause a system lock out.

When I play a Blu-ray movie the screen freezes for four or five times during the movie. The freeze time averages a second or two. At first I thought I might be seeing some sort of video card problem but on some occasions the sound lags too. The sound lag starts maybe a second after the screen freeze and is only noticeable during the screen freezes that exceed a couple of seconds. I have used this combination of software and hardware for two or three years and I have only noticed this problem in the last couple of months.

I have a Dell XPS730X which is a fairly fast system with an Intel i7 running Windows 7 64 bit and 6GB RAM. The video card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 570 (Specs note 1). The audio card is a Dell version of a Creative SB X-Fi. Iíve never been able to figure out exactly how the card Dell gave me relates to Creativeís manuals or their drivers but it works albeit confusingly.

The Blu-Ray player came with the Blu-ray drive. It is Cyberlinkís PowerDVD Version 7.3. Iíd like to think this is the primary culprit but honesty forces me to admit that my assignment of blame has more to do with the fact that it has one of the ugliest splash screens I have ever seen and there is no way of changing it, than any objective indication of failure. Cyberlinkís support try to sell their latest version without explaining the problem and the latest version is Power DVD 11.

Iíve looked at EVGAís logs and system logs and I canít see any evidence of overload.

Iíd like advice on two options:

1. What diagnostic test can I run that will not render my Blu-ray system unusable?
    2. How can I upgrade my Blu Ray player to something other than Cyberlink? (If Iím going to buy software that leaves little change from $100 it has to look good!)

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Specs note 1:
    http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=012-P3-1570-AR&family=GeForce 500 Series Family&sw=

Thanks
    You can try a lens cleaner which you can purchase @ most discount stores.You can find out the name of your player in the,Device Manager by going to start,Contolr Panel,System then click on Device Manager.Then click on the + sign.In order to update the firmware of the unit in question.IF the first suggestion doesn't work.Now for the bad news if both suggestions do not work,then it sounds like it very well could be time for a new drive.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

photphosphor (2011-10-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. A blast of compressed air seems to have fixed this problem. I did look to see how much a replacement would cost and was astounded to see that it would only be about $95 through Amazon. Sadly, the free software they include is Cyberlink. I know it is worth everything I pay for it

Thanks
    I'm glad to see your porblem is solved.For future cleaning I would like to suggest;http://www.bing.com/search?q=cd+lens+cleaner&FORM=AWRE
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten