New Lounger
    Thanks

fast/slow cycling of online game - is Flash the culprit, not XP?

hardware - three different machines all running XP SP3, one old laptop, one CoreDuo laptop, one Athlon dual core desktop

I am addicted to the online game PacXmon, available at many sites for free online play.

After achieving the easiest levels (10 and under) I began to notice that the game would suddenly run slow and, using Task Manager, saw that when this happens the uP was running at near 100%. This would cause the game to slow to a crawl for less than a minute after which it would return to normal speed and the processor would return to using a small percentage of its capacity. Then after a minute or two of normal play - back to the slowness and fully employed processor. This cycle continues indefinitely.

So I wondered - what is causing this full loading of the processor? Is it the game itself or something else that is hogging the machine? A browser must be running in order to play the game, but I turned off every other application on the PC and made sure nothing was running in the background such as virus checking (AVG, Avast, Spybot, etc.). No change.

Then I thought I would try different browsers - FF, IE, Chrome were tried with no change in this fast/slow cycling.

I looked at Task Manager's list of applications and processes. Only the browser appears on the application list. In the process list the browser is at the top of the CPU and memory use lists. Looking at the memory usage there is no difference between the slow and fast periods for the game.

PacXmon is a Flash game. So I can only figure that it is in the Flash processing that the slowdown occurs. This belief is reinforced by the fact that it makes no difference whether I run the game on a fast processor (or even a dual processor) or a slow one. The fast/slow cycling is the same.

My conclusion is there is nothing I can do about this problem since browsers and different machines bring no change. XP must also be free of blame.

Can anyone offer any insight on this? I know Steve Jobs (RIP) detested Flash and I also know this game is free and you get what you pay for!

Thanks
    You can make sure you have the latest flash.By going to start,control panel then click on the,Flash player icon.Then click on the advanced tab,the latest version is,11.0.1.152

Here is the link;http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that tip - I downloaded the latest version of Flash and it cured the cycling from fast to slow to fast again. Now, as the program progresses it gets slower but is consistent and far more playable.

Thanks
    The only other suggestion I have would be to install more ram.On the machine you are having trouble with.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought about the amount of RAM initially but monitoring the amount of memory used with Task Manager showed very little was being employed and there was no change in the amount used from the fast to the slow periods. It now looks like the processing that Flash is doing is inefficient and the further along I get in the game, the more Flash has to do.

Thanks again. This is a great place to come for help.

Thanks
    Well,the other suggestion would be to install a new video card.I don't see where you mentioned about what kind of computer you are having trouble with?Such as Dell,HP...