Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up standard account question

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have been running as administrator for nearly a year now with no problems but have been doing some research that indicates I should maybe be running as a standard account for greater protection. I tried to set up a standard account and when it came time to enter a password for the account the dialog box said if I did so I would lose EFS files, stored passwords et; for the account. Does this mean for the standard account I am setting up and now entering password for or does it mean for my administrator account that is already set up???

I do not want to lose anything connected to my admin account!!

Thank You for any help here.

Glenn

Thanks
    There is some debate on whether a standard account keeps you more protected or not. A standard account does not let the user make changes to the system, install apps, etc. This limited ability to work with the system is great for other users of the PC.

I do not have standard accounts set up at all. I am the only user of this PC, and I am proactive with my security. I do not feel the limitations of standard accounts will help me at all. If I were to set up an account for someone else on my PC, I would use a standard account because I don't want someone else changing anything on my PC, otherwise I do not need it.

There will be others that will tell you they always set up standard accounts on their PC's for their everyday use. I don't feel this will help me at all as I take care of my security myself.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

midnight (2011-10-10)

Thanks
    I'm glad to hear you say this! I believe that I can "mind my own business" with an admin account and not have the hassle of switching from standard to admin when I need to install something, change something. You didn't mention your wife's PC here...... do you have her set up with a standard account or admin? My husband does not keep up on what is going on, but I have trained him what not to click on ! and so far he is okay using an admin account. I admit that one day I may have to clean house on his laptop if something goes wrong. A standard acct probably wouldn't hinder his activities though.

Thanks
    I do hope you have more than one Administrator account, even if the second one is hidden or only appears in safe mode. For if the first one goes bad, and you have no other...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    I do, but don't know how to hide it??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AuAgHunter View Post
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have been running as administrator for nearly a year now with no problems but have been doing some research that indicates I should maybe be running as a standard account for greater protection. I tried to set up a standard account and when it came time to enter a password for the account the dialog box said if I did so I would lose EFS files, stored passwords et; for the account. Does this mean for the standard account I am setting up and now entering password for or does it mean for my administrator account that is already set up???

I do not want to lose anything connected to my admin account!!

Thank You for any help here.

Glenn
    This refers to the new account you setup. If you encrypted any files under your admin account, they will be unavailable to the standard user. If you are nervous about this create an image of your system before trying this. That way you can always go back to a point before you added the account.

Joe