Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010: Convert to PDF with selected bookmark levels

I am currently using a trial version of Word 2010 to get a feel for the new interface before converting from Word 2003 (and am not enjoying the experience). I have found out how to convert a document to PDF using the built-in PDF tool, but is there any way that I can select the bookmark levels in the output?

I use Word's Heading 7 for Appendix headings, plus a user-defined style for an unnumbered Preface heading. Is there any way to make these appear as Level 1 bookmarks in the PDF output with the built-in PDF tool? Or is there a free PDF writer that will do the job?

Many thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can do this, but it is buried in the settings. I do not have 2010 available at the moment, so I am describing how it is done in 2003. There are very likely corresponding options in 2010's PDF converter.

Somewhere there will be a menu choice or button that gets you the Conversion Options or Settings or some such. The options you want are under Bookmarks. In 2003, open the Bookmarks Tab. You'll see a list of headings with checkmarks and levels.

Select the option to Convert Word Styles to Bookmarks.

Check the headings you want to convert to bookmarks. The levels don't look as though they can be changed, but they can. Click the number in the Level column for the heading level you want to change. A dropdown will appear. Set Heading 7 to Level 1. Then check the Picture style and make it Level 1.

That should do it.
    Last edited by jweissmn1; 2011-10-11 at 09:15.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On further research, it seems as though the fancy capabilities for selecting levels are part of PDFMaker, which is an Adobe add-in that is part of Acrobat The built-in facility in Word 2010 for PDF creation determines levels for you and does not let you select both headings and ordinary styles to become bookmarks as far as I can tell.

So it's a very recent version of Acrobat or a full-featured 3rd party solution.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That seems to agree with my findings.

I currently use Acrobat 8 with Word 2003, which allows me to set the Bookmark levels as you describe, but Word 2010's built-in PDF tool doesn't seem to provide that option. So does anyone know of a free PDF maker that offers that option, or would I have to acquire Acrobat X?

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can change the paragraph outline level for nonheading built-in styles and user-defined styles. The level determines what will become a pdf-style boormark--and what appears in W2010's navigation pane. So any style could be a bookmark in the PDF. But if you've used a Heading 7 to enable chapter-numbered page numbers, captions, and the like, you would lose that ability with a nonbuilt-in heading style.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-10-11 at 18:21.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Pam. You say that it is possible to change the outline level for nonheading built-in styles, but what about the Heading 7 style? I want it to appear as a level 1.

The page numbers and figure numbers don't include any chapter element - they just go straight through from 1 to n.

Looks like I need to investigate outline levels.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You cannot change the paragraph outline levels for the mandatory styles (headings 1 to 9 and normal). In templates for documents with unnumbered headings, I create a style I call "Appendix" and set it up to look like Heading 1 and to have the level 1 paragraph outline level. The setting is in the paragraph dialog (New style button>Format>Pararaph or Home tab>Paragraph group launcher arrow).

Because it has the same outline level as heading 1 and if you are using the standard Word-generated TOC, you don't have to add the style name to the TOC codes separately.

Pam

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

AuthorAnne (2011-10-13)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds like the way to go. Might not have time to look at Word 2010 again for a few days, but will try it as soon as I can.

Many thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To convert PDF files, this PDF Converter works well on it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The PDF converter you linked to converts PDFs to other file formats; it doesn't convert Word documents to PDF, which is the topic of this thread.

Gary