Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Windows 7 pagefile and running without one

An interesting article from TweakHound with various test results - The Windows 7 pagefile and running without one.

The upshot is if you have enough RAM you MAY be able to run without a pagefile. But you must test it yourself. One size does NOT fit all. His recommendation is for the average user not to bother changing the default settings.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What if one is running 3 operating systems on one 6core (only 4 seems to max out the processors most of the time ) system at the same time (3 screens) with just 4 gigs of RAM?...not! For those with resource imbalanced systems though, like a bodybuilder who cares only for the arms and not the legs as long as they reach the ground, good fodder.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Joe,

Thanks for the link. A very interesting article.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    What if one is running 3 operating systems on one 6core (only 4 seems to max out the processors most of the time ) system at the same time (3 screens) with just 4 gigs of RAM?...not! For those with resource imbalanced systems though, like a bodybuilder who cares only for the arms and not the legs as long as they reach the ground, good fodder.
    Unless you mean running a host OS and two VMs, I have no idea what you are talking about. All I can say is read the article and test, test, test.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Unless you mean running a host OS and two VMs, I have no idea what you are talking about. All I can say is read the article and test, test, test.
    Joe,
    Hello...In this thread Page file Question i had discussed running without a "Page file" on my Windows 7 \ 64 with 8GB of RAM ... My results are the same as your link ... No "problemo"... The only thing that i think is important (for me) is the less your CPU hits the "Hard Drive" ..the better... Also as you have stated ..I have no idea why anyone would run several OS's at once.. There is probably a good reason ... but the right medication would probably fix it Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I've been running multiple drives for umpteen years. I don't use a standard installation of Windows; I carve it up and spread it out across drives/partitions. Since Windows 2000 I've been placing the page file on a dedicated 5GB partition at or near the front of the non-OS drive and sizing the page file at 4GB, regardless of the amount of RAM on any given PC or laptop

I have never had a memory issue of any kind on any PC or laptop. It is a set-it-and-forget-it thing for me. I've not needed crash dump files as I've not had crashes other than the occaisional BSOD caused by failing hardware of one sort or another. I've never had a software or OS related BSOD since Windows 95.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless you mean running a host OS and two VMs
    Yes yes yes! I'm not running them as test systems or anything like that, these are full blown OSes that can be run from other workstations on the network by different people (or the same person with side by sides ) with very few exceptions. Think of it as a multi-OS server if you will.
    I know I'm on to something here and can't be the first. I must have several thousands of dollars worth of software on the system and it can all be accessed and used by a $99 or $149 off lease P4 or early duo system using remote desktop.

Does no one else think "network" when they think of computers? One has never been enough for me, bad habit I got into back in the single core days I suppose when I would set a task that was going to occupy the CPU 100% for hours and hours...and go to another system to continue my work, and now, being able to stuff more than one OS into one box is wonderful to say the least, and having enough cheap RAM is one essential part in making it all work, and I just wouldn't test providence (2nd def. Merriam-Webster).

I'll shut up now and forever though since I seem to be pushing limits you guys haven't even thought about yet.

Thanks
    Interesting article, thanks. Maybe I should consider turning my PF off.
    With a bootable PCIe SSD and 12 GB of RAM@1600 who needs a PF. Maybe a die-hard gamer?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Interesting article, thanks. Maybe I should consider turning my PF off.
    With a bootable PCIe SSD and 12 GB of RAM@1600 who needs a PF. Maybe a die-hard gamer?
    Hi CLint,
    All you have to do is monitor your OS while running some, or one of your CPU\ RAM intensive "Apps" using Windows "Performance Monitor". You will then have your answer. I'm just an average "home user" (OK maybe not) but for my PC (7 \64 8GB RAM) usage, there is no reason to have one. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)