Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I need a CD to burn that has format tools

I have on going issues with a old Dell HD and would like to re-format it (before re-installing XP home -- again) and this PC doesn't have a floppy drive------ so I did a bootable CD with tools.

Looks like someone somewhere would have a CD/DVD that has Fdisk and Format on it :-(

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    These items should be available on your Windows Installation CD. Watch the option screens when you boot up and choose the one that lets you get to a command prompt.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The XP home use to bootup to install or repair but I guess it's been done to much as it just doesn't do this anymore.

Now it starts to install and has some kind of .dll missing will not go any further.

Hence the need for a different Boot media.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can use any of the boot / repair CDs that can be found by a quick search.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Using a DOS utilities disk is so much a part of any PC Tech's tool kit, that I built my own many years ago, which I still use.
    I have the same programs on CD, floppy disk and flash drive (all bootable).

For FAT-32 formatted drives, FDISK, Format, Scandisk, are valuable tools.
    Since CD's are much larger than necessary for those few files, you can add all sorts of little Utilities to make the CD even
    more valuable. To update or modify my CD, I first make the changes on my Utilities Flash Drive and then use that to burn
    a new CD.

To my own CD that I use here in the shop, I've added a HD Wiping program, a LOW-Level format routine and my Password
    removal tool. NTFS4DOS, allows me dos access to any NTFS formatted drive, so I can remove or rename any file on the
    drive. That may not seem important to the casual user, but for a Tech it's very important indeed, because it allows me
    to totally bypass all that "Permission" crap that's built into every version of Windows.

I'm an auld fahrt, but not a stingy auld fahrt and I'll gladly share my Utilities CD with anyone qualified to use it.

Cheers Mates!
    The (PC) Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Thanks DrWho;
    How can I get this ??

Thanks
    All it takes is a PM.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Get Ultimate Boot CD.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another utility CD that's come a long way (in terms of boot time now...UBCD, does it still take forever to launch?) is Parted Magic. Use the partition utility on it (GParted) to wipe, resize, format, rewrite the partition table, whatever.
    So far it hasn't failed to boot past any SATA controllers, something I'm not so sure of in other older boot CDs these days if the controller is not in IDE compatible mode.

Thanks
    To get past all the crap in windows and some of those so called "Ultimate Boot CD's" I just made my own,
    and I use it often to set up new HD's of 500 gig's or more.

My method is very Old School, as I do everything in DOS, right up to installing Windows.
    By the way, Windows XP does not have to run on an NTFS drive and actually runs faster on a FAT-32
    formatted hard drive. I've been doing that for many years now, since upgrading to XP from win 98, oh
    so many years ago.

When the XP installer asks me if I want it to reformat the HD as NTFS or just accept the existing format,
    I just tell it to "Accept Existing Format".

I can see why XP would fail to install over Vista, since they use different Master Boot Records.
    A total re-format is probably required.
    If a computer was specifically built to run Vista, it's doubtful that you'll ever find XP drivers for it.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    I have on going issues with a old Dell HD and would like to re-format it (before re-installing XP home -- again) and this PC doesn't have a floppy drive------ so I did a bootable CD with tools.

Looks like someone somewhere would have a CD/DVD that has Fdisk and Format on it :-(
    Aaaaaa, , , don't you have that yet?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably should mention that a third party formatting program is needed to format any partition larger than 32 gigs to FAT32, that the FAT32 file format is not as robust as NTFS and one cannot work with files larger than 4 gigs on a FAT32 drive.

It is a fully compatible format for crossover file exchange with Mac/Apple and some old media players and media extension input ports that only read FAT32 drives, not NTFS.

And as I mentioned before, Parted Magic is the only tool one needs to condition a drive for any OS to go on, since its very easy to select the partition table type and write that to the drive (ms-dos and GUID most of the time). Once in a while I'll pick up a extra cheap new drive (750 gig portable Canvios for $59! like 6 or 8 months ago at least) that's partitioned and formatted for MACs and convert it for use on the dark side (XP).

Thanks
    I still use FDISK and Format (Windows ME dos) to set up all my new drives. The only negative, is that when those programs were written, they didn't leave enough digit space for those large drives, but..... the programs still work.... just don't get all hung up on the numbers.
    The DOS format does something that those so-called Partition Managers don't.... it examines and formats every sector, one by one, and blocks out any bad sectors, so they are never used again. It does take some time, but so what? At my point in life, time is all I have left.
    I want the most efficient and effective method, not necessarily the fastest one.
    I can start a DOS format on a 1TB drive and go to bed. It will be done when I get up the next morning.

So I'll continue using my DOS Utilities disk to set up new drives and I'll gladly share it with anyone who feels like I do about it.

I find that most of those who bad-mouth DOS, have never used it and wouldn't know how, even if they wanted to use it. Eh?

Cheers mates!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

gmcilwain (2011-10-21),pvilan (2011-11-24)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hope you don't think I was bad-mouthing DOS; its just that its not going to get any more versatile any time soon. Is there a method for setting the partition boundary for proper alignment in DOS? If there is, I would have no idea how to, while I can easily with several other programs...that sort of thing.

And did you ever full format a terabyte drive with W7? It won't be done by the next morning! I think it zero writes in addition to checking sectors...something that takes forever...to the point no one will use it twice! (unless they don't get that once, shame on you, twice, shame on me thing).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To Date I've not been unsuccessful in creating a bootable usb drive. Can you provide suggestions for the process needed to create one. Maybe I'm using the wrong type of device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast