Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade options to XP

I intend to move to XP home edition at some point in the near future. I have 98SE on my PC at the moment.
    If I purchase XP Home upgrade can I install XP alongside 98SE and select OS on boot?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade options to XP

Yes, if you have a spare partition or a second hard drive. This is call "Dual" booting. If you plan on only one 9x version of Windows and XP you can use the NTLoader that comes with XP to control the dual booting.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    This answer is more than you need, but I put it here for other readers as well.

ileacy

I have just finished doing 5 setups and upgrades of XP using XP Home Upgrade, XP Prof Upgrade, and XP Prof OEM.

The experiences have been very good, but, would have been a lot worse, or at least a lot slower without access to High Speed Internet along the way.

I ended up testing a large collection of very modern and fairly old hardware. Everything worked eventually, but, the modern equipment (eg. ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) needed visits to Windows Update to get updated drivers that are not on the CD.

There are also almost of 2MB of critical updates since 1Aug.

Best advice for a successful upgrade or install is know your system and planned software before starting, get your Internet working ASAP, and visit Windows Updates.

A very few glitches, but, on the whole the best installation experience of any Microsoft OS to date.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have W2k OEM on an original hd, and XP-RC1 on a separate hd. Need to keep the W2k OEM for warranty purposes. Would like to load XPP Full ver on top of the RC1 to keep preferences. Will this work?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

MS say that it will work, but I have NOT tried it. I have not seen any intructions on doing a upgrade on a drive other that "C". So when you select "Upgrade" make sure that you can tell setup wizard which drive you want to use.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave. When I setup the RC1, had plenty of warning about which hd to use. So I assume the Full ver will recognize what is there, and offer some options. Do not want to reformat the 40g hd, just load on top.

ileacy

Same comments as Dave. I blew away my RC2 partition during one of my setups.

ileacy

Upgrade is not available on the OEM/full distribution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What does this mean "Upgrade is not available on the OEM/full distribution"? Do you mean that if I have Win2000 OEM on one of my computers, I can't upgrade it to Windows XP Pro?

Fafner

ileacy

The Windows XP Pro OEM CD("for sale with a new computer") distribution does not include the upgrade options.

The WXP Pro Upgrade CD does.

OEM releases of prior versions of Windows should upgrade as cleanly as non-OEM releases of the same software. IE, you will not be restricted but you might have problems.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for this information. What kind of problems might I anticipate? I have run the upgrade advisor software, which tells me I will have problems with Adaptec (now Roxio) Easy CD Creator 4 and Direct CD and with Norton AV 2000. My impression is that if I fix these drivers first my upgrade should go cleanly. Anything else I should look out for? (The only applications of any importance that I am running on this machine is Office 2000. Everything else is expendable.)

Fafner

ileacy

The upgrade advisor does not catch 100% of the software updates. I went through and re-inventoried all of my software to determine which packages I would be using under WXP. I then made sure I had downloaded the latest versions of each of them prior to upgrading.

I tested the upgrade in place options, but, did not leave it that way. I used full backups prior to upgrade plus a lot of planning to do a full install.

Because I support multiple systems for myself and others, I keep an archive of all my setup files on an external USB drive. This makes it very easy to manage all of my software and (re)install as required.

Basic recommendation. Use the upgrade first to get the maximum assistance but plan on a later clean install to get rid of all the garbage and obsolete software.

ileacy

An update after a week of using XP extensively on two systems.

The XP world is still shaking out, and new releases of drivers and apps are occuring daily. I am just starting a clean re-install of XP on my primary test system to get out of a piece of driver hell. (Need to un-install old Santa Cruz driver to install new driver but un-install crashes (full reboot) system).

Based on my own and others experiences in the last week it looks like.

-New XP certified systems from major vendors are running smooth as silk.

-Upgrade in place either works very well or leaves you in a mess (not frequently, but I have now seen 2 out of 16 upgrades with reported problems, one serious, the other problems with incompatible application). These are combination of personal upgrades and bleeding-edge friends and acquaintances.

-Clean installs (starting from freshly formatted partition) are better than upgrades.

My working plan is to continue testing and planning for major upgrades later. Expectation is that major rollouts/upgrades from 98SE/ME to XP Pro will be done late this year. New certified systems can be rolled out now. Systems running W2K can stay as is for the time being. In most cases they don't need the additional device and application support that XP provides.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Call me a ludite if you wish - but "best installation experience of any Microsoft OS to date" ??

As an experiment I've installed Win311 (after copying the installation disks into one directory) on a Athlon 1Gb pc. It installs in under 2 minutes and requires about 10 keypresses and 6 mouse clicks. It loads in less than 3 seconds from the dos prompt. However, if I wanted to install drivers for the video card, nic, printer etc I'd be up the well known creek - such things are not available!!!

For info - not a troll.

Jim