2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Flash drive thinks it's in A drive

I bought a SanDisk Cruzer 16GB flash drive and when I put it into my PC it was not recognized. Rather I heard grinding noises and then a window saying disk in Drive A isnít formatted.
    Why the PC (Dell Optimplex) thought something was in drive A is most perplexing. Other flash drives were recognized without a problem. I returned it to the store and the clerk tried it out there and said it was fine.
    Is there an explanation?
    (I was trying to use XPís Back and restore wizardÖThe total size of my C drive iss 74GB, Free is 64.4 so I thought the 16 GB flash was the appropriate size.)

Thank you.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Often flash drives have software that runs automatically when you plug them in. Sometimes they also have viruses. This may be the cause of drive A being used.
    Have you turned off Autorun for all drives?
    Have you scanned the USB for malware?

You can also check the configuration of the drive in Disk Manager.
    1. Click Start > Run.
    2. Type: diskmgmt.msc
    3. Press Enter and wait for disk manager to load.
    4. Check what drive letter has been assigned to the flash drive. You can change the letter by right clicking on the drive and selecting "change drive letter".

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Paul -

I returned the drive after ensuring that the other drives I had worked seamlessly. I was especially taken aback to find that it said the device in drive A had to be formatted. So, rather than getting something I had not bargained for, back to the shop it went - without a problem.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Excellent response!

cheers, Paul