5 Star Lounger
    Seattle, WA

Time for a .NET update we can't ignore

Time for a .NET update we can't ignore

By Susan Bradley

Every time I see a .NET update, I look for a good excuse not to patch. Unfortunately, this time I'm coming up empty.

The good news: Most of October's Patch Tuesday updates are relatively minor.

The full text of this column is posted at cant-ignore/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-10-12 at 18:52.

Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Flanders, Belgium, EU

Question What would Steve have done?

Dear Susan,

You wondered:

Patching .NET — What would Steve do?

With the passing of one of the technology industry’s leading lights, I ask for a bit of indulgence — in some timely speculation. Namely, if Steve Jobs had been in charge of Windows patching, what would he have done? How would it be handled?
    But I wonder:
    Why didn't you ask him while he was alive? Or would he have kicked you?
    Last edited by E Pericoloso Sporgersi; 2011-10-13 at 04:31.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

Aiken, South Carolina, USA

dot Net

First of all, to reply to the post above, I think Steve Jobs was too much of a gentleman to respond negatively as the poster above insinuates.

Secondly, I've read for months, seems like years, about Susan Bradley's rants on installing dotNet updates. I can understand where updates can messup, even drastically. I've had a few myself but I have never had a problem with a dotNet update. I don't recall reading exactly why Susan classifies these updates as only-do-it-under-pain-of-death updates. Perhaps I read so many of her negatives I just blocked it all out. What's the percent of bad updates on dotNet? Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with these updates and with Susan's unending dotNet bashes? I have nothing personally vested in dotNet but just get annoyed at Susan's general attitude of singling out this one series of updates for continual negative remarks.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-10-13 at 08:54. Reason: flaming remark toward another Lounge member

New Lounger
    I could not run KB2572067 on a WinXP Pro SP3 machine. The installation stopped with a window saying that the file "netfx.msi" could not be found in the user's documents folder, and it invited me to browse for it. I searched the machine for this file, but couldn't find it. I searched for this file on another WinXP Pro SP3 machine that had just successfully run KB2572067, but couldn't find it there either. Clicking the link you had posted, I followed the instructions in Aaron Stebner's blog post and was able to remove and re-install .NET Framework 1.1, and then I was able to successfully run KB257067.

Thank you, Susan, for keeping on top of the .NET update problems. This is the second time you have helped me solve a .NET update problem. The first time I let a Microsoft support technicioan take control of my machine for an extended period, but he could never successfully run the update, so he hid it! That was his solution to the problem! Later using the instructions that Windows Secrets had provided a link to, I was able to remove and successfully re-install all versions of .NET Framework.

What is the recommendation for .NET Framework update KB2518864 (MS11-044)?

My latest MS Updates included three MS11-078 .NET Framework updates which, following Susan's recommendation, I've installed, with no problem; and one MS11-069 update which, again following Susan's rec., I have not installed.

In addition, I'm still being offerred, KB 2518864. This Update link goes to MS11-044 (June 14). Susan discussed it in her June 29th and July 28th columns, where she recommended skipping it. However, neither this update or its Bulletin are in the current Patch Chart or Column, and I was not able to find it in MS11-066 or MS11-069 for the updates we should skip, or in MS11-078 for the updates to install.

What is the recommendation for this dot Net update?

3 Star Lounger
    Fresno, California, USA
    See how the October ones go. I'd rather make sure you do okay with the October ones before saying try the June ones as well.

Why do I hate .net?
    Because people who use registry cleaners get stuck installing them.

See -

Framework errorsCheck your update history for error codes, if any of these -
    Error Code:0x80131700
    Error Code: 0x643
    Error Code:0x80070002
    Error Code:0x66A
    You will need to reinstall Framework –
    Error code "0x8007066A" when you use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to install .Net Framework updates:
    When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603"
    When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643
    Windows 7
    Use the above as guides to fixing the problem.
    You can use this to verify what versions are actually installed on your computer-
    .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool User's Guide
    Reinstallation order:
    1. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (this will install the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 )
    2. .NET Framework 1.1 (if you have any programs installed that need it,this blog post can help you decide whether or not you need it)
    3. .NET Framework 1.0 (if you have any programs installed that need it,this blog post can help you decide whether or not you need it)
    4. .NET Framework 4
    For further information please see:
    You can try if appropriate just repairing only the affected .NET Framework versions.
    For repairing .NET Framework 4 Client Profile or .NET Framework 4 Extended etc -
    • Click on Start/Orb and click on Control panel.
    • Go to Program and Features.
    • Locate the Microsoft.Net Framework 4 Client Profile or .NET Framework 4 Extended, right click it.
    • You should have the choice of Uninstall/Change or Repair, click it.
    • This will then give you the option to Repair it
    • Select the Repair it option.
    Downloads for Framework if required:
    Note: Mailbag: What version of the .NET Framework is included in what version of the OS?

I have no .net files listed in the installed programs and updates list on my one-year-old x64 Win7 machine. I dont recall installing any, as I had heard earlier that they could be problematic. However, this month I was offered three x64 NET 3.5.1 updates (2518869, 2539635, and 2572077). My WinXP laptop, however, has several net1, net2, net3 and net3.5 files in the program list.

1) Does the absence of NET files in the lists mean that I dont have any installed on the Win7 machine, or do I have to use the verification program to find out? The offered updates seem to imply that there are already NET 3.5.1 files installed, or do I misunderstand?

2) If I dont have any installed on the Win7 computer, do I need net files or will new software install or request the net files if needed. I use IE8, but dont have Silverlight installed.

3) I assume that I should go ahead and install .NET updates on the XP machine, based on Susan Bradley's Patch Watch and her post above.

Thanks for any help,
    Last edited by gpeyton; 2011-10-21 at 09:05. Reason: clarification - some words were omitted