5 Star Lounger
    Seattle, WA

Putting Windows backups on your schedule

Putting Windows backups on your schedule

By Fred Langa

Backups that interrupt your regular work are annoying; backups that never happen leave you vulnerable to lost data or worse.

Here's how to live happily in the middle ground between convenience and protection.

The full text of this column is posted at (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2011-10-12 at 13:42.

Hinsdale, IL, USA

About Windows 8 Developer Preview

Of course, whenever you are testing a pre-alpha developer preview of a new OS version, it is unwise to install it on a device as unforgiving as a tablet running with a SSD. Most articles I've read about Windows 8 Developer Preview recommend STRONGLY installing the Preview as a Virtual Machine and testing it before trying to install Windows 8 directly on any hardware. And NO ONE I've read recommends installing the Preview directly on a tablet! This was just asking for trouble, Fred, as you found out. I get it -- you wanted to try out the touch and gesture features of Metro. But this is not yet the time to do so on a tablet. A cautionary tale for all of us.

By the way, developers were recently given by Microsoft a number of tablets with Windows Developer Preview and SDK pre-installed to play with. But these were very special tablets, custom made for Windows 8 Metro. This was NOT an in-place upgrade or clean install on existing tablet hardware.

Yes, the Preview is not even alpha, but the heavy reliance on Metro, and the bias of Metro toward Touch enabled hardware, is a disturbing trend in the Windows 8 demos and previews up to this point. Add to this the IE-10 Metro inability to support plug-ins, and the heavy reliance of Metro on a tightly controlled Microsoft store of some sort, and we have many reasons to be concerned about the possible future of Windows 8. Advanced home users and most business users will be very disappointed by this Operating System if indeed it relies on Cloud Storage and Apps, instead of local networks, local storage and full-scale x86 and x64 programs.

As for those who want to do in-place upgrades from Windows 7 (or clean installs on existing hardware), there is one possible way to cheaply add touch and gesture capabilities without a major hardware upgrade. If I am not mistaken, it will be possible to use peripherals such as drawing tablets (Wacom Bamboo, etc.) or gesture enabled touchpads (Synaptics has drivers for Windows 7 for these peripherals) to give at least some touch and gesture functions for traditional hardware (except older tablets or netbooks). In any event, touch enabled monitors could also be attached, although this is not a good option for traditional laptops or notebooks. Drivers and motherboard and BIOS support are the major hurdles to overcome for these peripherals.

We all have over a year before Windows 8 is even offered to the public, and a lot can change in that time. At this point, the public and especially the Tech Press, can have some influence over how the OS eventually is presented. And remember, Microsoft may be previewing the most radical departures first, to act as a trial balloon or a wake-up call, and to prepare the public for what changes are in the works. Anyway, that's my guess right now.

What is clear is that Microsoft and hardware manufacturers are trying to steer new PC buyers into buying the smaller and more mobile devices, as Tablets are challenging traditional laptops and netbooks. We shall see whether this strategy is an effective foil to the post-Steve Jobs Apple (iPad) empire, or just a passing fad which may land us back on the laptops and netbooks we all are familiar with today. One thing is for sure -- I will not be working with Excel spreadsheets or business correspondence or reports on a ten-inch touchscreen tablet under the pure Metro interface! And no one at Microsoft ever said I would have to do this.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-10-13 at 01:56.
    -- Bob Primak --

I'm running Win8 dev preview as a vm in VirtualBox on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit; it, and Metro, look interesting and it runs fairly well using one core of a 1090T, a gig of RAM, and a forty-gig virtual HDD.

New Lounger

Thumbs down Windows 8

Fred, for one of the very few times ( I am an old Langa List reader ) I must disagree with you. I downloaded and installed Win 8 preview and I HATE the Metro interface. If this is the way MS goes I may just keep running Windows 7.

4 Star Lounger
    New Hampshire USA

About slipstreaming Win7 SP1

I think you may have missed the point of Brian Williams' question, which seemed to be related to performing a repair (in situ) installation rather than the 'full-on reinstall' about which you had already made your feelings clear. In contrast to the alternatives that you mentioned, which return the system to an earlier state and thus require bringing it back up to date from that state (which can involve an arbitrary amount of folderol, though usually considerably less than is required with a 'from-scratch' install), a repair install should leave your system in its latest state save for fixing any system components that had been compromised (though it may not bring its Microsoft patch level up beyond that of the repair DVD's content).

The other point worth mentioning is that it may not always be easy to know when "everything's set up properly and working well" in order to create a back-up image that can be relied upon, since a latent problem may exist that hasn't (yet) made its presence known - another reason why the repair-install option may be preferable.

Brian's point seemed to be that if you had a slipstreamed SP1 installation DVD, then if a repair install using that DVD did not require first removing SP1 (assuming that your system was not so hosed that you could not do this anyway) this would be at least a minor advantage.

Edit: However, according to the 'tips' in the tutorial, what Brian was suggesting does not appear to work (i.e., you can't perform a repair install with a slipstreamed SP1 DVD - which if true is too bad).

Edit2: However**2, according to those same 'tips' the Microsoft version of Win7 with SP1 fully integrated CAN be used to perform a repair install, and it seems to be available on-line (see
    Last edited by - bill; 2011-10-19 at 17:54.

Star Lounger

Windows 7 Slipstream the Easy Way

There is no need too slipstream Windows 7 yourself. There is a much easier way. I found a post that showed all Microsoft official downloads can be obtained from Digital River. So you can download a complete windows 7 SP1 distribution DVD ISO as if you had purchased it. I used it and it works great. I had Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade DVD for a couple of years, never installed. My original installation was Vista 64 bit OEM and came with my PC. I wanted to finally install Windows 7 and did not want to hassle with all SP1 updates and all the crud it would leave behind. I preferred to start up to date and clean. I found this link which has a post which has all the downloads.

I downloaded Home Premium SP1, installed it (in a dual boot configuration with my original Vista). It installed great. It asked for my activation code and I gave it my OEM Upgrade Activation code. It activated fine and has been fine ever since (3 months). I am sure a phone call to MS would also have got it activated if I had issues. I did have my Vista activation code if needed, but it wasn't.
    I proved that it doesn't matter for this download if you have a MS DVD, and OEM copy or an upgrade version. l All worked great. I recommend using these instead of going through the steps in the article.