Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Possible to repair Win7 while booted from install disc?

Hi Guys,
    I have this issue... windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit OEM SP3 installed, windows started blue screening, after running some hardware checks the ram had failed, replaced ram, windows now just resets it self during the splash screen, ran chkdsk c: /r 2 times which repaired errors but still will not boot, managed to boot system with a microsoft erd disc to do a system restore but there were not restore points. now what i want to do is run a repair install but it is greyed out, i know it can be run from within windows as i have done it before but does anybody know if it is possible to repair windows while booted from the install disc, if not this is a big failing on microsoft's part..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    A repair install can only be run from Windows, not from when you boot from the install disc. Not sure if you have many options other than a Windows installation.

To avoid issues such as these, backing up your computer through imaging apps, such as the free Macrium Reflect or EaseUS Todo Backup is the best option. If you do that now, and create an image just to keep a backup of all your stuff now (EaseUs probably the best option for that, since it allows individual file restoration), you can then reinstall Windows while formatting your disk, knowing that you can resort to your image to restore all your relevant data.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Neil, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster. it's good to see you.

The other thing to keep in mind is if you install Win 7 over another OS in the same partition (even over another Win 7 installation) a folder called windows.old is created that contains the entire old OS. This folder can be opened like any other folder. You can grab all your data, etc from this folder and move it into the new OS. Unfortunately any customizations and installed apps will need to be reinstalled. Windows updates will also need to be reinstalled. If it would help you can download Win 7 with SP1 included from Digital River. This would save some of the update time.

Good luck with your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To be clear, however, there is NO SP3 for Win7, tho there is for XP.

Zig

Thanks
    Good catch Zig, I did not see that. Must obviously be a typo. Shows how easy it is to miss something very obvious.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Zig it was a typo (thinking about xp repair at the time),supposed to be SP1.. its a shame microsoft did not enable this feature to repair from the boot disc as in win xp.. looks like a backup & reinstall.. thanks guys for all your help..& welcome

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Bedford View Post
    Hi Guys,
    replaced ram, windows now just resets it self during the splash screen, will not boot.
    Neil,
    Hello... Check your BIOS and make sure that the "New Ram" is showing up ...It is possible that your new "sticks" are not compatible with your motherboard...or they are not functioning... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Source for below
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

Caveats for a repair install of Windows 7
    You cannot use a OEM Windows 7 "Factory" Restore/Recovery type of installation disc that came with or created from a store bought computer to do a repair install with. These can only be used do a clean install instead.
    You can use a retail OEM Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with.
    You can use a retail (full or upgrade) Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with.
    You cannot do a repair install with a System Repair Disc. A System Repair Disc is not a installation disc, and will only boot to the System Recovery Options screen.
    If you have a 32-bit (x86) Windows 7 currently installed, then you must use a 32-bit Windows 7 installation disc to be able to do a repair install with.
    If you have a 64-bit (x64) Windows 7 currently installed, then you must use a 64-bit Windows 7 installation disc to be able to do a repair install with.

You can use a retail Windows 7 SP1 installation disc (ex: Technet (available), MSDN (available), or retail (when available)) to do a repair install with on a currently installed Windows 7 SP1.
    You can use a Windows 7 SP1 installation disc (ex: Technet (available), MSDN (available), or retail (when available)) to do a repair install with on a currently installed slipstream Windows 7 SP1.
    You cannot use a slipstream Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with on a currently installed Windows 7 SP1.
    You cannot use a slipstream Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with on a currently installed slipstream Windows 7 SP1.

You can only do a repair install from within Windows 7.
    You cannot do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode.
    You must be logged into Windows 7 in a administrator account to be able to do a repair install.
    You must have at least 8.87 GB of free space, more if you have a larger installation, on the hard drive/partition Windows 7 is installed on to do a repair install.
    If you changed the default location of the Program Files or Programs Files (x86) folder, then you will need to change it back to the C: drive, and change any shortcuts that pointed to the other location to also point to the C: drive before doing a repair install.
    Last edited by Super Sarge; 2011-10-13 at 22:47. Reason: more information

Thanks
    You can use the iso file of Win 7 with SP1 to do a repair install. I guess this is not considered a slipstreamed DVD. I just did it by booting to the DVD and choosing repair install. It worked. The referenced article was posted in 2009, long before SP1 was released. It appears to have been updated since including a retail version of Win 7 with SP1. I suspect the downloaded iso file of Win 7 with SP1 is considered a retail version. Who knows. The point is that it worked.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2011-10-27),Super Sarge (2011-10-14)

Thanks
    Thanks I am downloading a copy of W7 Pro ISO, as I write this from Digital River as I post this just in case.
    The reason I posted the caveats was so people did not get mislead about a repair install of W7 if the had Sp1 installed.

Thanks
    Yes, if you don't use the iso file with SP1 included then SP1 would have to be uninstalled. The same link you posted has a link to a SP1 Disk Cleanup Tool. It seems usinfg the downloaded iso file from Digital River is the easier alternative.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can do a non-reformat reinstall of W7 as long as you have the original key number/code. Fred Langa has explained this very well in July issue of Windows Secrets.
    I think all of you at this place know about Fred's lesson on this matter.
    [twitter][twitter]rssra[/twitter][/twitter]

Thanks
    Roop, Most of us DO know very well about Fred's recommendations. We often read Fred's suggestions. This method does not work for everyone. It is worth a try in many situations, but there has been mixed success. Each situation is different as each PC is different. That is why what works for one person may not necessarily work for someone else.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    (EaseUs probably the best option for that, since it allows individual file restoration)
    Is this really a distinctive difference ?
    I have grave doubts.

My experience of Macrium has been that it can "Mount" an image backup so that Windows Explorer may search and copy from the image to the current running system any desired file or set of folders and files.
    The only restriction is the inability of Windows Explorer to replace any locked/in-use files, e.g. Pagefile.sys

But even Pagefile.sys can be replaced by the stripped down Explorer held by WinPE when using the Rescue Boot CD.

Does Easeus have superior capability ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    What is a distinctive difference or not really depends on our own personal opinions about it.
    For the time being, I am an Acronis user. Macrium has more recommendations here but Ease US TodoBackup has started to get some references from members, too. I will probably go with one of the free apps, but I must say that I can inclined to go with TodoBackup, because feature wise, the free version is much richer than the Macrium free version:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
    http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast