3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Collation on SQL Server 2008

I have database which I am testing on sql server 2008 as installed by a.n.other.
    the server is a shared area so I am pretty much tied to the set up already chosen by the installer.

When I have created and restored the database I am seeing an error relating to collation:
    Cannot resolve the collation conflict between
    "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_Cl_AS" and "Latin1_General_Cl_AS" in the equal to operation.
    The database is a third parties which we have no 'intimate' control over (i.e. all processes are stock) so I would not be able to rewrite any of the procedures.
    I have searched the collation process and everyone seems to be recommending either rewriting the queries (not possible, see above) or re-installing SQL2008 with alternative options for languages.

Has anyone come across this previously and have a straight forward solution?
    thanks
    Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can find the collations supported on your server by running this in Management Studio

Code:
    SELECT * from ::fn_helpcollations()
    You can, of course, change the problematic columns to the collation needed to avoid those issues. This can be done through ALTER TABLE statements.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-10-15 at 05:28.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the database relies on the collation for results - which is bad practice - you will need to install another instance of SQL with the correct collation. Multiple instances on the same server are supported in Windows.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks

Thanks Guys, just trawling through the database now to check and correct.
    Didn't help that the 2008SM was installed blindly with nothing checked.
    Thanks again.
    alan