New Lounger
    Thanks

Question PC Security & Control for small businesses

Hi Everyone,

I am tech for several small businesses and am looking for suggestions on relatively easy ways to lock-down user PCs. I'm working on a project now that has six US locations that will have 7 PCs (Win 7 Pro) for Point-of-Sale systems. The POS software accesses a local USB printer, a network printer and a USB Pole Display.

Simple networking, no Active Directory.

I access / maintain them all remotely using GFI's Max system that includes TeamViewer.

Needs:
    1. I would like to prevent the users from installing software, using USB storage devices and the CD-ROM
    2. Block all but a few permitted websites to browse to. (All need Internet access for Teamviewer). I used to do this with I.E.'s controls and install a noaccess.rat in content advisor. Just wondering if there is a better way.

Thanks!

-Dan

Thanks
    See if this article helps item 1:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remotel...dmindevicelan/

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you don't want them installing software don't give them admin access. Won't block everything but it will stop too much playing.
    If you really want to stop them playing install DeepFreeze (about $30 per machine). Leave one partition open for saving files / data.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the DeepFreeze is an option, just not in the budget.

I'm investigating the possibility of using MMC to tweak a user account. Not sure yet if this is going to be a help or headache.

Here's the page I'm looking at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

My problem is that I don't get into this depth often.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dan, what you are referring to as MMC (Microsoft Management Console) is actually the Local Policy editor. The MMC is just the framework tool that allows Local Policy to be loaded and managed. Deep Freeze and other central management products are really just GUI's for controlling and editing those same Local and Active Directory Group Policies that you are loading from the MMC. Those 3rd party GUIs are dramatically easier to use than the normal policy editor, which is why they are popular. However, they are limited to what options the vendor provides. Getting to know how Local Polices and GPO works is a nice addition to your resume.

As far as the Faronics core console goes (which Deep Freeze uses), we use PowerSave. We like the Faronics products, but their management tools leave a lot to be desired.
    Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If it's not in the budget it's not worth your time either. Some things just cost.

cheers, Paul