2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading FF from 3.6.23

I am thinking about upgrading FF from 3.6.23 to the newest version. Is it really worthwhile? I think my biggest problem would be RoboForm, but not sure about that. FF 3.6 is working well. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Hi og75, I recommend upgrading, new version is safer & to a certain extent faster.
    I accept no liability for any hiccups, but will give good advice if required, as will others. P.S. Only joking.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    If you have seen the different UI and know how to trick it out to your liking, I think you should be fine. RoboForm 7.5 now apparently is upgrade-proof so if you have (or get) the latest, you won't need to worry about the Firefox rapid release schedule. (I don't use it, so I haven't studied the details.)

Note: I think Mozilla is still ironing out problems with the hardware acceleration feature which can lead to screen artifacts and, on some systems, distorted fonts. If you see those issues, you can disable the feature.
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-10-13 at 15:42. Reason: Additional thought.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    though there will be an upcoming Firefox 3.6.24 release coming on November 8, which is the same date Firefox 8.0 will be publicly released.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wiped my hard drive this weekend so starting over. Got Windows working again and got the new FF v.8 and Thunderbird v.8. Have problems in FF, had saved bookmarks with favorites and can't get them recognized as bookmarks now. Also Thunderbird doesn't recognize the old Thunderbird files that I copied into the TB folder. Trying to make the new RoboForm work too, but that is another issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mart44
    I can't help with all of that but bookmarks maybe. Are you using the Firefox Bookmarks Manager and choosing the 'Import Data from Another Browser' option? If so but are having trouble getting that to work, try this instead:

If you have the bookmarks as Favorites in Internet Explorer, instead of trying import them directly into Firefox, first export them from IE to an 'htm' file on the Desktop. Then open Firefox and import the bookmarks from the .htm file using Firefox's Bookmarks Manager.

I don't have Thunderbird installed but have used it in the past. What files did you save before wiping out the OS and what file path are they being put back into?

Edit: A bit late now but if you ever need to back up and restore Firefox and Thunderbird files again, MozBackup is very good:

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php
    Last edited by mart44; 2011-12-04 at 16:43.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mart44 For This Useful Post:

oldgeezer75 (2011-12-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mart44 thanks. Sorry it has taken so long to get back here. Still working out many issues on getting everything up. I have stopped using TB for the moment and just working out of Google, since I use Gmail. I have rescued my contacts but don't have any of the thousands of email I had. Can't figure yet why that is. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. I will keep MozBackup in mind for another time.

Thanks
    People get so much 'Stuff' saved in their browser, that transferring that data to another version of the program or even to another computer, can be a real PITA.

I had stuck with the old familiar FF 3.6.?? for as long as I thought advisable. Then when FF 8.0 (full version) was officially released I did the upgrade. FF 8.0 picked up all the bookmarks and special settings. It has since, upgraded itself to ver. 8.0.1, download it here:
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html

It was OK, except for strewing the tool icons all across the screen. What's up with that anyway?
    So I opened up the 'Customize' window and drug all the icons into that window. Then I drug (drag N drop) the icons back up into the toolbar and put them next to each other, just to the right of the forward and back arrows. Now it's much easier to find an icon when I need it.

Other than that one little negative, which I was able to deal with, FF 8.0.1 is working out just fine.
    For the greatest compatibility, I always install "Shockwave" , "Flash" and the latest Java runtime along with FF.

Happy Holidays Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-12-16 at 13:36.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

oldgeezer75 (2011-12-15)