New Lounger
    Thanks

Some paragraph numbering not showing in Cross Reference window Word 2007

I received a Word document with styles linked to Section/paragraph numbering, with cross references in the body to other Section/paragraph numbering. Using the same styles to change the paragraph numbering, i.e., in one case deleting the subparagraphs, a, b and in other places adding new subparagraph. Now the changed paragraph/number reference in the cross reference window is gone. i.e., will show the subparagraphs, a, b, c, but not Section 7 or just doesn't show Section 6.2, but does still show 6.2 and 6.3. The same style is used for the revised paragraph numbering. Is there something wrong with my outline numbering perhaps? This is a 2007 docx saved compatible to .doc. Is this possibly the problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After studying this a bit, I discovered the problem is when you put a hidden paragraph to separate two different styles; such as heading and body text on same line. So, is there a work aroud some one is aware of? I have to use the hidden paragraph to break the style.

Thanks
    Microsoft introduced the Style Separator to replace the old hidden paragraph trick, but in actuality, a Style Separator might the same issue... a similar sounding problem is mentioned here: Using Style Separators in Word 2007 when generating a TOC - Microsoft Answers.

Can you create a sanitized sample document that demonstrates the problem and attach it to your post?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try applying the style separator instead of the hidden (font-formatted) paragraph marks. First, unhide the paragraph mark (Ctrl+spacebar should do it). Then put the cursor in the heading paragraph and press Ctrl+Alt+Enter. Word will apply the style separator formatting to the first paragraph mark it sees. I'm using 2007 right now and see the run-in headings in the cross reference list for headings.

Pam

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Microsoft introduced the Style Separator to replace the old hidden paragraph trick, but in actuality, a Style Separator might the same issue... a similar sounding problem is mentioned here: Using Style Separators in Word 2007 when generating a TOC - Microsoft Answers.

Can you create a sanitized sample document that demonstrates the problem and attach it to your post?
    Thanks for the link re style separator - & yes, I knew about the separator. I tried changing the hidden P to the style separator and got the same result as your link says. It is a very long document and I have not had a chance to sanitize it. I will try to post it soon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    Try applying the style separator instead of the hidden (font-formatted) paragraph marks. First, unhide the paragraph mark (Ctrl+spacebar should do it). Then put the cursor in the heading paragraph and press Ctrl+Alt+Enter. Word will apply the style separator formatting to the first paragraph mark it sees. I'm using 2007 right now and see the run-in headings in the cross reference list for headings.

Pam
    Thanks for the theory, but unfortunately it did not work in my document either - may have something to do with we are saving our 2007 documents to be compatible with 2003 for clients.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the Cross Reference dialog are you showing the "Headings" list or the "Numbered Paragraphs" list?

Have you tried adding a bookmark to the numbered paragraph and then cross-referring to the bookmark instead of the heading?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's funny. I use style separators often in W2003 & W2007, in the compatibility mode and not, for the business documents (proposals, mainly) I format. I checked before posting by testing a docx file and doc file using W2007. I do not see the problem mentions in the link and I do see the the run-ins in the list of numbered headings. Perhaps there's something else going on in your document.

Pam