3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merging documents and sending via email

Hello,

How do I send a merge document without sending the source for the merger? I have a word document that is pulling some fields from an Excel file. I want to send those merge documents without having to send the Excel file. When I open the document it asked me for a source document. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Hi Seba,

I want to make sure you wish to send the merge document with the merge codes still intact? You simply want to remove the reference to the source file so the recipient won't be prompted?

When you open the document, you're prompted for "permission" to open the source file. In Word 2010, if you click "no" the file will open without the connection to the source file and it's broken for good. In previous versions (2003 and before, not sure about 2007...), I think there's another step that asked to remove the source in somewhat confusing language. Say yes to that and you will remove the connection to the source file.

However, you now don't really have a merge file. Just a file with some fields in it. So the recipient will need to turn it back into a merge file by supplying a source document. In Word 2010, you go to the Mailings Tab, click "Select Recipients" and choose from Type New List, Use Existing List or Select From Outlook Contacts. Earlier version have a similar process -- if you turn on the Mail Merge toolbar there are options for connecting to a source.

HTH, Kim

P.S. If the merge file is generic, this should be easy. But if you've got "exotic" fields in your merge file, the recipient may need to do a little editing.

P.P.S. If what you want to do is send the merged documents -- the result of a merge -- you need to execute the merge. In Word 2010 (and most likely 2007), click the button at the right end of the Mailings tab -- Finish & Merge > Edit Individual Documents -- which will create a document with all the merged documents. The Mail Merge toolbar in previous versions has a similar button but I'm not sure of the language.

The resulting document will not retain a connection to the source file and will not prompt the recipient to open one.
    Last edited by kmurdock; 2011-10-16 at 12:23. Reason: Additional info added.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    The problem description suggests to me that what is being sent is not the mailmerge output file that results from executing the merge, but a copy of the mailmerge main document. Unlike the mailmerge main document, the mailmerge output file will have no mergefields or a mailmerge data header in it and will not give the datasource prompt.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    I agree - I think that's what Seba is asking, too. However, I added the P.P.S. as an after thought. When you look at a merge file, before you've actually done the merge, it's possible to view it with data displayed in the fields. If you don't take the extra step to do the actual merge, but send it that way, thinking it's merged (because there's the data...), you will still be left with a mail merge main document. Hence, the additional info - busy office, lots of distractions... it could happen.
    Kim