New Lounger
    Thanks

Confused By Susan Bradley's Recent Win Update Patch Advice

Hi all,

Like most of you, I imagine, I usually benefit greatly from Susan Bradley's advice on patch Tuesday. Leaving the nasty ones and installing the needed ones is usually a no brainer after reading her great column in WS. This last column and patch chart left me shaking my head though. Susan starts out saying that we should accept all the dot net patches offered but there are a number in the 'skip' section, still, that we are not supposed to touch(?)! As if that's not confusing enough I ran Secunia PSI and 3 dot net patches are due there apparently for 2.x, 3.x & 4.x all referencing KB2539631 - one of the 'skip' patches from Susan. How can one patch be referenced for 3 different dot net versions in Secunia? I know that secunia doesn't analyze them like Susan does but what about the conflicting advice in her column? Is it all, or only a few as in the table? If I'm mis-reading things I'm more than open to being told so! Many thanks to anyone who can help me. Cheers, Brian.
    A fool TELLS me his ideas, a wise man PERSUADES me with mine ~ Aristotle.

Thanks
    Hello Brian,

Susan wrote the following at the end of her .Net section in last Tuesdays Patch Watch column:

"► What to do: Accept the October .NET updates offered, or go to MS11-078 for links to the appropriate patch-download page."

Susan only recommended applying the .NET patches offered last Tuesday. If you follow her advice, any .NET patch in her patch listing designated as a "wait" should not be applied at this time.

I have applied every .NET patch except for .NET 4 (I use no apps that require .NET 4) with no negative issues. However, your mileage may vary.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Deadeye, very much appreciated (just love your little cat & mouse thing happening there!).

For the relatively less experienced like me it just gets so hard sometimes when certain patches are offered that Susan doesn't mention and then some that she does mention don't get offered. I'm sure this all sounds pretty lame to the experienced ones here. It's hard to know for sure if your doing the right thing on occasion - even with her help. God only knows how the Great Unwashed who don't read WS get along, just fully installing absolutely everything that MS dishes up in the way of patches! Oh well, at least I'm not one of them thank God!

Thanks again - you have certainly clarified it somewhat for me. Cheers, Brian.
    A fool TELLS me his ideas, a wise man PERSUADES me with mine ~ Aristotle.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Apps affected by .net

Is there a painless way an amature like myself can determine what, if any, apps I have need .net? Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Usually it's by seeing what version of NET is installed. If auto update offers the patch you have a version that requires the patch.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

rvr2352 (2011-10-16)

Thanks
    HOW does one recognize the nasty ones ??

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You read the recommendations in Windows Secrets, or other blogs.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Usually it's by seeing what version of NET is installed. If auto update offers the patch you have a version that requires the patch.
    That is simple enough! Just had a look at my installed items and find that I only have .NET framework 4; so why do I keep getting 3.5.1 updates?

Thanks
    @paul
    I've had the paid ver of WS for yr's and love all the articles but haven't found any good/simple answer's and I'll assume that there isn't.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Jagworld, you are correct, you need lots of different machines to test and lots of apps. Most of us do not have access to such a resource and Susan fills in for us.

midnight, .NET V4 effectively contains 3.5, 2, 1 etc. There must be a patch that corrects a 3.5 issue that also affect 4 and there is no point making an additional 4 specific patch.

cheers, Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

midnight (2011-10-18)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

midnight, .NET V4 effectively contains 3.5, 2, 1 etc. There must be a patch that corrects a 3.5 issue that also affect 4 and there is no point making an additional 4 specific patch. , Paul
    Have never heard this before, and it makes sense!! Many thanks Paul.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    The .NET framework is very confusing. The .NET 1.0 & 1.1 versions are independent of .NET 2.0 & later. The .NET 3.5 & .NET 3.5 SP1 versions share the runtime library from .NET 2.0. See .NET Framework Versions and Dependencies for a nice diagram and more information. See Download .NET earlier versions for download links to versions older than .NET 4.0.

Note that while versions such as .NET 2.0 build on .NET 1.0 & 1.1 that does not necessarily mean that just because you have .NET 2.0 installed that a .NET 1.1 application will run properly. If you have multiple versions of .NET installed you should just leave them alone. There is no easy way that I know of to tell which applications use .NET and which .NET version is required.

Joe