Star Lounger
    Thanks

PS2 keyboard and USB mouse both lag

Randomly after my computer has been on for awhile both the keyboard and mouse pause for a few seconds before responding to keys or clics. If I restart the computer all is fine. Any thoughts appreciated.

Urge

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Define a while, I have the same thing happen but I know what it is. I use a browser that has a lot of tabs, of coarse they are not opened up until I use them. The more I open the slower it gets. Sounds like you may have a problem similar. Do you have a lot of programs running in the background that you don't shut down when you are done with them? That will do it too.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do love tabs! My browser is Firefox 7 and I use tab groups, some of my groups have in excess of 40-50 tabs. I have used lots of tabs since they were an option in Firefox. This is the first time I have noticed this behavior and I have had this same situation on several computers including a laptop from 2006 that isn't particularly fast. My current computer(the one that has the problem) is a year old and has max memory(4Gigs) for a box with XP pro on it. It has an AMD Phenom II X2 560 BE CPU in a Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H MOBO. Maybe the collective groups of tabs is overwhelming it, I don't know. I just sarted using the groups recently so I guess that could be it. I will try and reduce the overall # of tabs and see if that helps. My lag runs from 1-2 secs to in excess of 5 secs.

Urge

Thanks
    Getting away from the tabs for a moment.....

Have you told windows that you have a dual core CPU?

Or, have you minimized the number of programs running in the background on your PC ( See, MSCONFIG, Startup folder)

Or, have you thought about minimizing the number of Services you have running?

OH.....4 gigs of ram cannot be fully seen in windows XP, 32 bit. It will only use just over 3 gigs.
    But it's pretty doubtful that you're even using that much.
    Take the extra work load off of your one CPU chip and your PC will be much more responsive and efficient.

(I do this for all my customers and usually double the efficiency of their PC's.)

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You need to use Task Manager or Process Explorer to see what is going on with your system. It is likely that with 40 - 50 tabs open in FF that RAM is an issue but check it with a permformance reporting tool.

Joe

Thanks
    Anyone, and everyone, that can do this, should use the speedup tweaks for Firefox that have been posted on the internet.

Actually, Mozilla has already incorporated some of them into the latest versions of FF, but not all. It still requires a personal touch.
    But no matter how much you tweak and tune FF or any program, if your CPU is bogged down with CRAP running in the background,
    it's never going to perform well.

I take PC's with only 256megs of ram and running XP Pro and make them run better than they did the day they came out of the box.

Cheers Mates,
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!