New Lounger
    N Ireland

fonts in windows apps etc too small to read

HI I have a HI res large monitor some of the text in windows is too small to read in a lot of apps.

Nothing wrong with my eye sight!

I know I can lower the res but whats point of buying a hi res mon and lowering it?

know about magnification tool!

Paul D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and metrics.
    - In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. - Then, make any of the following changes:
    - In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.
    - In the Size list, click the font size that you want.
    - In the Color list, click the font color that you want.
    - Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

WS Lounge VIP
    If you are over 40 your eyesight is probably poor at close distance - the lens hardens with age. I buy $5 reading glasses and keep a few around the place for the times I need to read the fine print.

cheers, Paul

Central Florida
    I'm sitting here, with my Bi-Focals on, reading this forum and yes, the text is a bit small, for easy reading.
    OH woe is me, what to do? Sniff!

Then I remember, all I have to do is hold down the 'CTRL' key while I roll my scroll wheel on my mouse, forward or backward.
    I can make the text as big as I want! WOW! Who would'a thunk it?

Try that, the next time you're squinting at a text screen, like this one.

Cheers Mate!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've dealt with this issue a lot over the years. The CTRL and scroll wheel works great for web based apps, but many apps that are not web based have a fixed font size for some screens within their own programs, in other words they don't resize with the screen resolution. This is a big problem in a lot of business environments because some apps require a high res, while others will not display readable text unless they are displayed at 800x600 or 1024x768. So if older people have to run both apps, the choice is to either squint for one app, or having to scroll the other to see the "off screen" portions. I personally would make my displeasure known with the app vendor.