Lounger
    Thanks

File-Open (2000/SR1)

We are in the midst of upgrading our organization from NT4 to Windows 2000 and from Office 97 to Office 2000. One of our users can launch a document (nothing fancy just a table; contains no macros) via Windows Explore and it is fine. When he does File - Open from within Word and opens the same document, it looks like text only with a lot of meaningless text at the bottom. At all other PCs in his group, the same document can be opened via Explore or within Word and looks fine. He can create documents and save them, but he has to open documents via Windows Explore so they look proper. We have repaired and reinstalled Office, changed the views, we have deleted normal.dot, and checked all of the settings under Tools - Options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File-Open (2000/SR1)

I'm grasping at straws here - but is it possible that you have both Word 97 and Word 2000 installed on his PC? I could see this happening if Windows Explorer launches the document in Word 2000; trying to open the same document in Word 97 (without a converter) would look like garbled text. Just a thought.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joanne:

In the File/Open box, make sure that the "files of type" is not set to "recover text from any file".

Hope this helps.

P.S. Word 2000 files do not need a converter to open in Word 97.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much Phil! The File-Open box was set to "recover text from any file". We changed it and everything is fine now. I can't believe we didn't see that before. Thanks again.