Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Anyone had problems since October updates?

I've always had updates set to inform only, but was surprised to see on shutdown (early hours of Oct 13th) that there were updates being installed!
    Sure enough, when I checked next morning, the setting was on automatic! I've re-set it to inform only.

Since then, I've had problems with Outlook (2010) and IE 8:
    With Outlook, especially first thing when a number of new emails have arrived, I sometimes get 'not responding' happen a few times. It clears after 1-2 minutes.
    With IE, some sites are taking a long time to open/load, as are links to other pages/objects within sites. WindowsSecrets is one of those sites which is working very slowly for me. (It took a while to open the site, then a good few minutes to load the 'post a reply' page. This happens on a number of sites, but not every time. Other sites work normally.

I also found only yesterday after seeing the disk usage going down gradually, that system restore has re-set itself back to my old setting of 18%. I changed it to 12% a month ago and regained 4GB of space. I've now re-set it again.

Basically, has anyone else had these problems which seem to have manifested since the October updates last week?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    After seeing your post I tried to load a CD and the drive wouldn't recognize it. I had the same problem when I installed SP-1. Both times I just had to uninstall the device in Device Manager and re-boot and everything was fine again.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    No problems so far, but as I wrote in another thread, the dot net updates would not download correctly using Windows Update. When I went to the KB number at MS direct, the download was fast and smooth..... much better that through Windows Updates, and installed correctly on two machines. I will probably use that method in the future.

Thanks
    No problems here either
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies!
    I'm at a loss now to understand why I'm getting these problems at times.
    Just as concerned that settings such as no automatic updates and restore point volume can be re-set!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Automatic updates can be reset by such things as Microsoft's Security Essentials installs and Some of the Windows Live Essentials installs, maybe even by the application of some windows updates...I've had it happen several times after such installs but never noticed if restore point volume was reset.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - at least the updates issue is 'explainable'

I'd never had need to look at the restore settings with XP, but I was seeing bits of drive space disappearing regularly with W7, so changed the setting last month from 18% to 12% - I'm not even sure if that still isn't a bit too much, nor what the best percentage is to set it at, but it gave me back 4GB.
    Having the OS on a SSD has made me keep an eye on such things.
    Now I'm aware of things getting re-set at times, I can watch out for it happening.

So my main problem now is the intermittent slowness in IE8 and 'not responding' in Outlook! Perhaps just a coincidence that they started after the updates last week.

Thanks
    Am I reading this right? 18% or 12% is a lot of space. Mine is set at 1%. So what is a good number??

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never seemed able to find a firm instruction on that - perhaps I should reduce it further. Just loooking, the restore points at the current setting go back to Sept 17th.

Another thing I've wondered - is it necessary to have restore set on the other two 1TB drives? One has only images and image software on it, the other has various stuff including some programmes.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a little more complicated now with Windows 7 because of shadow copies, previous versions of files that are kept and are tied to system restore points. Even in Home and Pro versions these shadow copies are made though there is no way of directly accessing them without using a program like Shadow Explorer to access them. So if one wants to preserve these shadow copies, its going to require more room. That's why the percentage setting has remained so high even though drives have become so much more capacious.

So I would say, if you want to have those shadow copies and the possibility of accessing them, keep it high but if you need the room and are mainly interested in the traditional use of restore points to reset system settings via older copies of the registry which don't need much room, I would say reduce it, say 2% of 500 gigs would still be 10 gigs reserved for restore points in that case.

I turn off monitoring for system restore on external and other data drives, there are no system settings to keep track of there. However, it might possibly be valuable, again for the shadow copy access, but if these data drives are being properly backed up, it should not be necessary or relied on as much as a good backup is.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinicore For This Useful Post:

Pictor (2011-10-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I've always only regarded system restore as a way to put the computer back to how it was before something caused a problem & wasn't really aware of the shadow copy process in Windows 7.
    I did wonder if the SSD (90GB) with the OS on it is the one to have system restore set for, but not the others. I'm 99% sure I didn't have restore set on the drive with all my images & Photoshop etc on it, but it is now so I thought I'd check first to see if my assumption was correct. It's not set on the drive with just programmes & some documents on it. I'll re-set the 'C' SSD to around 5 or 6 % and disable it on the other.

(I do normally do a weekly back up, but haven't got around to it yet with this computer - I must see how to use the Macrium Reflect I downloaded!)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello All,

I discovered a program called System Restore Explorer which lists the System Restore Points and allows you to mount most of the the restore points as a virtual drive which you can explore and restore files individually from. It has a simple user interface and when you click on a restore point the Mount option is highlighted if that particular restore point is mountable.(Why some aren't I don't know). Obviously it also has the option to unmount the restore point when you are done.

I hope this program is found useful by fellow Loungers.

Regards,Roy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    ... there is no way of directly accessing them without using a program like Shadow Explorer to access them.
    That may not be quite right Infinicore, my understanding is that in Win7 you can access earlier versions of files, if you're generating them that is.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11130...-of-windows-7/

that said, I doubt VSS has anything to do with Pictors original issues.
    Last edited by northwood2222; 2011-10-19 at 07:47.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many years ago some large eneterprise networks crashed because Updates ignored the "notify" choice and forced through an update before I.T. had opportunity to validate on test machines.
    ALL ESSENTIAL BUSINESS WAS SHUT DOWN.
    Systems had to be rebuilt.
    Microsoft said it was for their own good - the patch was to ensure the ability for an upcoming update to install something that might otherwise fail.

Since then I set to never install and never even notify - total disable of updates.
    I now wait for a week after updates to see the effect on the general population,
    and then I switch to "Notify Only" and carefully select what to permit one at a time.

I recognise that I have only set a flag and Microsoft can and will ignore my choice whenever they like,
    therefore I always ensure I have good partition image backups.
    Twice this year their updates have blasted through and trashed the system and I had to use my Recovery Boot CD.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to have to try either system restore to before the recent updates or uninstalling those updates - which is the better option ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast