Thread: Obstinate CDs

New Lounger
    Thanks

Obstinate CDs

I have a Win 7, 64-bit PC; my wife has an XP 32-bit laptop; I previously has an XP 32-bit PC.

I archive our photos on CDs. When I get enough of one subject I make a folder and simply copy it to a CD; no special programs or editing, just a straight-forward copy. Recently we tried to play 2 of these CDs (maybe 6 months old) in my wife's laptop. After each CD was inserted, there was a brief period of player activity as indicated by the "busy" icon on the screen and then silence. After the "busy" icon disappeared, a context menu appeared and when "Open" was selected, the system opened to an empty file like you'd get when you open an empty flash drive. I took the CDs to my computer and they opened and displayed fine.

She put a DVD into her deck; it opened and played correctly. Then she put another one of my photo archive CDs into her laptop and it opened and displayed properly as well.

We're trying to figure out why all of my CDs will play on my system (whether they were burned on the 32- or the 64-bit system) while only some will play one hers: same brand of CD from the same package, the one that played was the second in age of the three we tried (one or two from the 32 bit system).

Any ideas?
    Last edited by proteus; 2011-10-17 at 12:46.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    I have a Win 7, 64-bit PC; my wife has an XP 32-bit laptop; I previously has an XP 32-bit PC.

She put a DVD into her deck; it opened and played correctly. Then she put another one of my photo archive CDs into her laptop and it opened and displayed properly as well.

Any ideas?
    proteus,
    Hello.. I have just within the last week replaced a CD\ DVD RW in my HP pavilion (2007) The problem started out like yours.. Sometimes it would play a CD and sometimes It would freeze up my PC while loading ,or trying to ... Then i could not "erase" anything. My 2nd CD \DVD RW drive was still OK... Tried to clean the "lens" ...no go...Just got worse. Bought a new one from Directron Directron CD \ DVD's for 20$$... not worth the hassle of trying to figure out what went wrong... The new one (ASUS) worked fine...Just had to boot up and let Windows "discover it" ...Then reassign the letter that i wanted. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-10-18 at 14:57.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Some points:

It's seldom that CD/DVD drives last a long time. They are highly technical and sensitive devices, made just as cheaply as possible in countries not noted for really high quality consumer electronics.

Knowing that, from years of experience, I keep a brand new CD/DVD burner on my New Parts shelf, just for 'In Case' my currently installed drive dies or gets funky.

Also, due to some very bad experiences, I no longer use RW disks. They are just too unreliable.
    CD-R disks are so cheap now-a-days, that using anything else is foolish, at lease for me, to say the least.
    An RW disk written on one PC, quite often cannot be read on another PC, but only on the drive that wrote it.

We had the same problem with out-of-alignment Floppy Drives in the past. A disk written on one drive could not
    be read on another drive, but only on the drive that wrote it. I used to re-align those things all the time.
    I know of NO way to re-align a CD drive, or to replace a failing laser diode.

Good Luck,
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!