4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Style management in Word 2010 is a puzzle

I created a set of styles in a Word 2010 document. Once they were set the way I wanted them, I created a template from the document and attached the template to the document.

So far, so good. Now I want to delete the styles from the document and let it get them from the template. But it doesn't work. When I delete the styles, Word acts as if they didn't exist. The "Import/Export Styles" dialog assures me that the template is attached and the styles are in it, but when I try to assign one to a paragraph , Word creates a new style in the document by cloning the paragraph's former style.

I'm rather new to Word 2010, and I'm not sure if I'm dealing with a bit of weirdness that Microsoft has added since Word 2003, or this is simply an operation that I don't understand because I haven't done it before.

Advice, please?

Thanks
    My understanding is that Word copies styles into the document from the source template at the moment of creation and that after that time, unless you have ticked certain boxes to check for updates, the document and template can diverge. You also can assign a new template to the document with no effect on the styles in the document. Unless something has changed or I am misunderstanding the scenario, I think you are seeing the historical behavior.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Jefferson states, merely having the template attached doesn't actually import the style definitions. To do this, you need to go the dialog where you attach the template and tick the "Automatically Update Document Styles" and click the OK button. You should then go back into the same dialog and turn it off again unless you want to re-import the styles every time the document is opened.

I use a one line macro to do the same thing.
    ActiveDocument.UpdateStyles
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

PamCaswell (2011-10-17)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsachs177 View Post
    So far, so good. Now I want to delete the styles from the document and let it get them from the template. But it doesn't work. When I delete the styles, Word acts as if they didn't exist. The "Import/Export Styles" dialog assures me that the template is attached and the styles are in it, but when I try to assign one to a paragraph , Word creates a new style in the document by cloning the paragraph's former style.
    In addition to what Jefferson and Andrew have said, there is no need to delete the styles before updating the document styles. The template's styles will always overwrite the settings of the same-named styles in the document. It can add styles to the document and but cannot delete them from the document. Typically, people update styles when there have been unwanted changes or deletions and when the template styles setting changes need to be put into the document.
    You can also send changes made to styles in a document to the template. While in the create or modify style dialog click the radio button before New documents based on this template. When you save the document, you will be prompted to save the template as well.

For more information, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/topic/word/templates .

Pam