New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I learn to use Adobe?

I feel stupid saying this but I have no idea how to use adobe, e.g: create a document in adobe; edit an existing document; convert from adobe to work and vise versa, etc. Also, what is the difference between adobe reader and adobe acrobat or are they the same thing? Where can I learn? I've taught myself most programs on the computer and feel I could teach myself this if I knew where to begin. Thank you>

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    sorry, convert from adobe to WORD and vice versa

Thanks
    Maureenm, Welcome to the Lounge. Come back often.

A Google search turns up lots of sites offering Adobe training.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Maureen,

Welcome to the lounge as a poster.

The difference between Adobe Reader & Adobe Acrobat is the Reader is a free program which will allow you to display documents created in the Adobe .pdf format. Acrobat {decidedly not free} allows you to create documents in the .pdf format.

As for converting there are many free programs which will install on your computer as a printer. Once installed the program is accessible from the Word Print screen and will print your Word document in PDF format to a file on your computer with the .pdf filetype. My favorite program of this type is PrimoPDF Free.

There are also programs, although I have not used any of them, that will convert from the PDF format {.pdf} back into the Word format {.doc or docx}. Perhaps others here with experience in this area will share their experiences with these programs.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2011-10-18 at 08:58.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Thank you

Thank you! Your explanation definitely makes it much clearer to me!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah go for adobe tutorial there's a lot out there just google it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maureen,

I don't use Adobe except when there is absolutely no alternative, like Flash! The programs are always requiring updating, and some are expensive to start with anyway. For most home users, I don't believe Adobe is necessary to use and manipulate pdf files

For reading and creating pdf files, I use Tracker software - PDF-XChange PDF Viewer (free) to read pdf files; PDF-XChange Lite 4 to create. I paid for mine originally, but I see they now have an offer that is free to home and academic users. I have had mine for a number of years, and I think in that time have only ever needed to update twice! I can recommend both programs as excellent, and in my view straightforward to use - very easy to tweak the options.

For converting pdf files to Word, I use SolidConverterPDF, again an excellent program which I have had for a long time. It is not free, though, and the current version is quite expensive. There are free equivalents out there - one I see that has good reviews is Free PDF to Word Converter
    from SmartSoft. If I were starting, I would try that.

Garth

Lounger
    Thanks
    I really like Lynda.com. It's not cheap ($375/yr I think) but it has courses on almost any program you can think of and it's available 24/7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Small rant.
    For some reason it makes me crazy when people say “Adobe” in situations like this. I hear it often.
    It makes me want to ask if they are using Microsoft?

I’m over it, move on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have shared your struggle. The only way I found was many hours in the arcane help files. You might try amazon for a selection of books on Acrobat
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Thanks
    I have used Adobe Acrobat for a few years, starting with Acrobat 5 Pro, then 7 Pro, and now 9 Pro. I recently reformatted my HD, and tried some of the free pdf programs out there, and IMHO they fell short of Acrobat, and I was really trying them out too. In the end I went back to Acrobat 9 Pro. Yes, it is expensive,even using the upgrade like I have been. In the end I'm sticking with it. One reason is their tech support. When I need to deactivate and reactivate like when I reformatted, no muss no fuss. When I was having problems with it printing gibberish, they helped me through it, again no muss, no fuss. And last but not least, when I was working on the "gibberish" problem I asked the tech if there was really any reason given what I was doing if I should upgrade to v10; his answer was that there really was no compelling reason for me to do so.... Ok so I did and still do have one huge beef with them. In Acrobat 7 Pro there was "LiveDesign" I believe it was called. This allowed one to make forms, and it was all inclusive. By that I mean I was able to set it up to add like Excel etc., and it had a host of other features. In order to get the Full Monte so to speak of LiveDesign, which they now call LiveCycle I would have needed to upgrade to Acrobat 9 Pro Extended. Not a chance in $%.... but once again, their tech support walked me through how to do certain things in 9 that I was used to doing in 7 and although not nearly as good, it did suffice.
    Just my $.02 worth.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)