5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Advice needed with BSOD before I restore image.

Because I was having problems with my VSS services, I attempted an in-place reinstall of Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, using the downloaded .iso file. Because of space limitations, I had to increase the size of my C: drive, which I did with (IIRC) Partition Wizard Home Edition (within windows). After a while, the process locked up, and I was forced to hard restart, but everything appeared to go smoothly, and the disk structure appeared normal (tho I didn't run CHKDSK at that point). When I began the reinstall, everything APPEARED to run smoothly, until I got to a point after some time (I wasn't watching it closely, so I'm not sure exactly at which point) where the computer threw a BSOD of 0x0000007B. I probably should have tried a "last known good config" at that point, but I didn't. I did a CHKDSK /r on my C: drive, and a few files were fixed, but the problem remains. I can't boot into Win 7, so can't repeat the nondestructive reinstall. I've tried reconstructing my MBR, but no joy. My partitions are intact, including the System Reserved 100 Mb one. I'm not sure if C: is still the boot drive, but only the SR partition is marked as active, as it should be.

I'm to the point of reinstalling C: (and perhaps SR???) from an image made with EaseUS Todo Backup just before the disaster. ??Any suggestions, alternatives, things to check, commiserations or other solutions to try before I do would be much appreciated. I have a small set of CD-based tools, but am not expert at using them.

Thanks in advance,
    Zig

Thanks
    When I do something like this, fairly often with my "playing" of my OS, I just pop in the Boot Media I created from my Imaging app (I use Acronis and burned a Acronis Boot disk, you only need one no mater how many Images you have) boot to the CD, point to my Image (ext USB HD) and run it. I do not have to do anything special at all. My system is set up as C Drive (Win 7), D Drive (Data partition) and W Drive (Win 8 DP). (I chose a high drive letter for Win 8 DP so it would never conflict with anything else). Even though my Image includes both the Win 7 and Win 8 DP OSes in the Image file, I can only choose to restore one OS at a time because I can only restore to one partition at a time. If I have to restore both OSes (had to just once) I have to restore one OS at a time so it takes roughly 20 minutes rather than 10 minutes. I have never had this fail to work.

I have never used Easeus todo Backup, but I suspect it works the same. The only Easeus app I have used is Partition Magic. I have used both Partition Wizard and Partition Magic at various times. Both have worked very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    I'm to the point of reinstalling C: (and perhaps SR???) from an image made with EaseUS Todo Backup just before the disaster. ??Any suggestions, alternatives, things to check, commiserations or other solutions to try before I do would be much appreciated. I have a small set of CD-based tools, but am not expert at using them.
    Zig,
    Hello... To say i "feel your pain" would be an understatement...Been there many times...You could try to reset your BIOS (remove battery). Also try a Repair with the windows disk.. If that fails i would do the EASEUS recovery. Good luck Regards Fred

PS: Try booting up into the "BIOS Menu" and clicking on your OS and booting from there.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-10-18 at 06:59.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try booting up into the "BIOS Menu" and clicking on your OS and booting from there.
    Not sure what you mean by this. My BIOS menu (to my knowledge) doesn't have a selection to choose what OS (I only have one) to boot from.

Zig

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. My BIOS menu (to my knowledge) doesn't have a selection to choose what OS (I only have one) to boot from.

Zig
    Hi "Zigster"

When I'm "Booting" ( before Windows Splash Screen) i have a BIOS choice.... "Boot Menu" (Esc) and Boot configuration" (F-10) Sometimes if i "kill" the ability to boot normally (frequently) If i enter the "Boot Menu" i can select the OS (even if only one entry) click on it and hit "enter" ...If I'm lucky that day ..."She"..(Yes my PC is a female)... will boot up from there. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    After all else fails, put in the Image boot media and restore from your Image. It will take less than 10 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy