New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot reinstall IE9

I run Windows 7 Starter on an Asus netbook. Recently I found I couldn't open certain help files and the product's tech support suggested I open them directly in IE9, which was updated at the end of September. (I choose whether to install updates or not, and that one I installed.) That didn't work either and it seemed I had a problem with IE9.

I uninstalled IE9 and was offered an update immediately. When I tried to install IE9, however, it failed (several times) and the troubleshooter offered me this:

Clipboard01.jpg

Now I can't even access the windows help and support files

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

John

Thanks
    Is there an recovery partition on this PC? I am not sure what the capabilities of the Starter Edition is. I doubt you have an installation DVD so you might not be able to do a Repair Install. I am not even sure the Repair Install is available on the Starter Edition of Win 7. You might have to bite the bullet and re-install Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

johntren (2011-10-18)

Thanks
    This is from M$;
    To uninstall Internet Explorer

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

• Click the Start button , type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
    • Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
    • Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
    • Click one of the following:

• Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
      • Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).
        Another suggestion would be to make sure you,Disable or close your anti-virus & firewall before you down load & reinstall IE9.
        Down load IE9 direct here;http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i...wide-languages
        I hope the above helps.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

johntren (2011-10-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm happy to say that this problem is now resolved. I Googled the error message and was directed to windows.answers, where I found a link to a lovingly titled 'Hotfix' (let's not get started) for the Updater. I installed that, disabled my AVG protection, and re-ran the IE installation program, re-booting when prompted. Voila! A fully functional IE9 restored to live, complete with the ability to access help pages from within my OO Defrag 15 program.

Many thanks for time and cogitations here.

John
    PS And yes, I did remember to reactivate AVG

Thanks
    Yes, remembering to disable AVG is an important step in uninstalling and reinstalling Internet Explorer. And remembering to reactivate AVG when finished. Glad this worked.
    -- Bob Primak --