New Lounger
    Thanks

Network crawls when old Server 2000 is disconnected

Replaced Server 2000 with new Server with Server 2008 in 2009. Server 2000 was left as Terminal Services Server and file storage. This summer Server 2000 lost half its memory so replaced it with a used Server (but reformated) with Server 2003. Server 2003 became the Terminal Services Server and file storage. When Server 2000 is disconnected the network is very slow. Opening a file on Server 2003 or 2008, from a workstation, takes seconds with Server 2000 disconnected, immediate when connected. Another issue is that any workstation with Win7 takes minutes to show desktop after entering password. The desktop is black for several minutes altrhough you can see the cursor and move it.

I must have missed a step some where.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Abe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'll assume you have an AD network.
    Does the old server act as a DNS and are the workstations still pointing to it?
    Is the old server a DC? Does it hold the FSMO roles?

More info on your set up would be useful.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes we have active directory.

I'm not very proficient in Server administration so I'm don't know how to answer the line 2 and 3. I believe the old sever was DNS. I don't know how to tell if the workstations are still pointing to it. Not sure if it was/is a DC nor do I know what the roles are.

I'd be glad to supply and setup info you want any server, what do you need and where do I get it?

Thanks,
    Abe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fixed! DNS on Network settings were the DNS numbers supplied by the ISP. Changed the servers to point to the server (192.168.1.10) and any workstation that wasn't set to obtain DNS address automatically.

Thanks,

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In AD you should be using DHCP for workstations and fixed IP for the servers. The DNS entries should point to 2 local DCs on both WS and servers.
    All DCs have DNS installed, unless the installer was crazy, so you just need to identify the DCs.
    1. At the server console press Ctrl Alt Del to logon.
    2. Do not enter credentials, just try to change the logon domain via the drop down. DCs will only show the domain, normal servers will also show the server name.
    Logon to a DC, open a Command Prompt and type dcdiag /test:Knowsofroleholders /v to show the FSMO role holders. You may have to find the DCDIAG command - it may not even be installed if you're unlucky.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Abea (2011-10-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    All DCs have DNS installed, unless the installer was crazy, so you just need to identify the DCs.

cheers, Paul
    Paul, I'm a bit surprised at this comment. By default, DCs do not get the DNS role installed unless you specify it. I'm not sure why you would have it on more than 2 DCs unless you're not using Active Directory integration.
    Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    AD requires DNS to function so why would you leave it off a DC, unless you are planning to allow the DC to fail if you lose your DNS.
    If you have more than 2 DCs you must be running a multi site environment so DNS on the other DCs is essential.
    Microsoft have wised up and now W2008 automatically installs DNS on a DC.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can also use this command to identify the FSMO roles.
    netdom /query fsmo

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    AD requires DNS to function so why would you leave it off a DC, unless you are planning to allow the DC to fail if you lose your DNS.
    If you have more than 2 DCs you must be running a multi site environment so DNS on the other DCs is essential.
    Microsoft have wised up and now W2008 automatically installs DNS on a DC.

cheers, Paul
    It does that in a new 2008 DC install of a new domain because of the AD requirement, but not when adding one to an existing 2000 or 2003 domain. It asks if you want the role installed or not. When we put in our first 2008 R2 DCs, we opted not to upgrade and add the DNS role until the FSMO roles were moved and completed some other house keeping.

If a DC that's running DNS fails, everything will look at the secondary DNS server. If you lose that server too, it really doesn't matter if DNS is running on other DCs because your devices (at least Windows) are only looking to a primary and secondary.
    Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Doc, what have FSMO roles got to do with whether you install DNS?
    Do you have more than 2 DCs per site and if so, why?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FSMO roles and adding/upgrading DNS have nothing per-say to do with one another. But is your question about FSMO suggesting that it's good practice to make several changes to a domain at once? Not something I would ever do. Too hard to troubleshoot issues after making several "in-line" changes in the same change window. Not that we had any trouble. It was very smooth. Microsoft has come a long way in making these upgrade painless.

No, only one DC in each site right now. Only 2 sites. "Site1" points to its DC as primary DNS, and points to Site2's DC as secondary. If had 2 DCs in each site, what point would there be in having DNS on all 4 DCs? I think we are talking about different scenarios. It sounds like in your environment you have many sites, each with 2 DCs that act as primary and secondary for the machines in those sites.
    Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    With one DC per site you must have DNS installed on every DC. Otherwise you are filling your inter-site links with traffic you don't want. You should also cache the universal group membership or set all to be GCs. With this arrangement you limit WAN traffic and have resilience should a DC or WAN link fail.

cheers, Paul