2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninvited install attempt

When I open various programs I get a pop-up that wants to install "Quicktime\qttime.com". I have not allowed this. Why would I want this and if I don't, how do I get rid of it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Miv,

My guess is that those various programs are Apple products, e.g. iTunes, etc. QuickTime is Apples video render like Flash or Windows Media Player. You may need to install QuickTime to get the full benefit of those programs.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the response. I still don't see the need for it. I would like to get rid of the constant popup wanting to install. Before the file name it says "Program Files". It is not listed on my programs, or in the uninstall list. When I enter it in the "Search Programs and Files" box I get a blank. Do you have any idea where it is, so I can trash it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you could try a scan with malwarebytes to see if you have been hit with a malware.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    curiousclive,

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried malwarebytes, that wasn't it.

Thanks
    Check if the exe for the installation is in the startup by checking msconfig.exe in the start up tab. Is there anything there you do not reconize? Perhaps a Quick time app is attempting to run when Windows starts and wants to install the problem app. If so I would use What's In Startup and delete the exe from the Start Up folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miv View Post
    When I open various programs I get a pop-up that wants to install "Quicktime\qttime.com". I have not allowed this. Why would I want this and if I don't, how do I get rid of it?
    Miv,
    Hello...First what are the "various programs" ..there might be a clue depending on what they are . Next There is a free program called "AgentRansack" mythicsoft After downloading and installing... Input Quicktime ,or things like it.. "Agent" may find it . Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-10-18 at 16:02.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found and got rid of most of it. Thank you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Miv: It would be nice if you left feedback about what it was. It can help others who read the thread.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solution, I guess

I did most of the things suggested with no success. Because of the title shown in the request I looked at the program files and erased QuickTime some little while ago. I tried typing QuickTime in the Search Box and found it listed in the Library as a file. The file contained 3 things. I deleted 2 of them the third would not be eliminated. I restarted the computer (old solutions, when you don't know what else to do) went back to that file and this time got rid of the third thing in the file by deleting the entire file. My biggest and most troubling encounter with this attempt came with the access to my bank files. Semi-success. The large box covering the center of the screen and wanting to install the program is gone. At the bottom of the screen a small white box (the same one I saw before when I refused the install) now appears offering to install this program. I click the "x" in the upper right hand corner and it is gone. As I say this is a semi-solution, but an improvement. I have no idea what all this is or how I got it and apparently neither does anyone else. I appreciate the attempts to help that I got from those tht responded.
    Nowhere else such generous and quick help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Better solution

Erasing Quicktime might be a mistake. I think you should Uninstall it instead. Uninstalling a program will remove it gracefully. Erasing a program might cause problems with things left behind.
    A better solution to your problem is to down load VLC Media Player from www.videolan.org. Then on the file you are trying to open right click on the file. On the "open with" option select VLC media player and set this as the default program to use with that file type. Then in the future when you open that file type it will open with VLC media player instead of trying to find Quicktime.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your not to concerned you could open regedit and type in the find box "quicktime" (no quotes) press enter and delete any thing it finds with quicktime listed click on "F3" button after first find to search for more deleting any folders it finds till it comes to end which means it has found everything it can. Be careful to only delete folders or sub folders with quicktime as header in case the folder is a shared folder (usually in left pane). Maybe ccleaner will find any empty false entries if run the reg clean option within the program. (this may be safer option if you are not confident with messing in registry yourself.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2011-10-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reply. The question that occurs to me is why would accessing my bank account require Qucktime or VLC ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the reply. As a matter of fact I did try to uninstall it. It didn't appear on the list of programs on the Windows Uninstaller. I also have Revo Uninstaller and it didn't appear there either. You are correct about erasing leaving a trace. When I log onto my bank's website while I don't get that large box wanting to install Quciktime, I still get a small white box at the bottom wanting to do the same thing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    That message is just telling you that there is some video on the page that is normally displayed using Quicktime and that you do not have Quicktime installed on your system. It is frustrating to see this whenever you login but it can be safely ignored.

Joe