New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 64bit - Buttons missing from popup windows

I have searched the forum but don't see any threads mentioning this. I also have the dummy's book Windows7 for dummies but so far haven't found this mentioned in that either. I have software that I like very much and that has been created using dotnet, as far as I understand (I'm not a techie). The software creates popups for working on particular items. When these popups appear in most people's computers they have clickable buttons (e.g. "close" or "copy", etc) at the bottom right. These are missing on my computer. I have changed the display to "classic", instead of "aero" and can see the top half of the buttons. These are clickable but I would like to see the whole popup, including the full view of the buttons. I know at least one other person with Win7 64bit CAN see the buttons but I also know a lot of others can't. I have checked the display for my monitor and it is at the recommended resolution 1920 X 1080. It seems that the popup window does not show the full area of what is present, or the borders of the window are covering the content in some way. Not sure how to explain it.

Any ideas on getting popup windows that correctly display the buttons please?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Solved

Quote Originally Posted by MegLearner View Post
    I have searched the forum but don't see any threads mentioning this. I also have the dummy's book Windows7 for dummies but so far haven't found this mentioned in that either. I have software that I like very much and that has been created using dotnet, as far as I understand (I'm not a techie). The software creates popups for working on particular items. When these popups appear in most people's computers they have clickable buttons (e.g. "close" or "copy", etc) at the bottom right. These are missing on my computer. I have changed the display to "classic", instead of "aero" and can see the top half of the buttons. These are clickable but I would like to see the whole popup, including the full view of the buttons. I know at least one other person with Win7 64bit CAN see the buttons but I also know a lot of others can't. I have checked the display for my monitor and it is at the recommended resolution 1920 X 1080. It seems that the popup window does not show the full area of what is present, or the borders of the window are covering the content in some way. Not sure how to explain it.

Any ideas on getting popup windows that correctly display the buttons please?
    OK - solved. Just in case anyone else has the same problem. When I got the computer, with a wide screen, websites didn't use very much of it, so I changed the display to 125% (Control Panel / display) to make sites bigger. When I changed it back to 100% - the buttons on the popup window appeared correctly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Meg,

Have you changed the DPI settings in Display Properties and/or Zoomed your display. I've noticed this same problem from time to time on Installer packages for various software.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You might also want to change the screen resolution of your monitor to use more of the screen. (Right Click Desktop, Screen Resolution) This might also allow you to adjust the size of fonts, etc. for easier viewing. Another tip, works very well in browsers, Ctrl (+) will increase size, Crtl (-) will decrease the size. (Ctrl Plus, Ctrl Minus) Check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Meg,

Have you changed the DPI settings in Display Properties and/or Zoomed your display. I've noticed this same problem from time to time on Installer packages for various software.
    Yes, this was the screen I changed back to 100% and I can now see the buttons that were previously missing. Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    You might also want to change the screen resolution of your monitor to use more of the screen. (Right Click Desktop, Screen Resolution) This might also allow you to adjust the size of fonts, etc. for easier viewing. Another tip, works very well in browsers, Ctrl (+) will increase size, Crtl (-) will decrease the size. (Ctrl Plus, Ctrl Minus) Check it out.
    Thanks. The Ctrl+ will help me view browsers without having to reboot the computer. That's very useful. Thanks.

Thanks
    Meg, 2 things,

First, I was very remiss yesterday, Welcome to the Lounge and come back often, shame on me!

Second, Ctrl and Mouse Wheel has the same effect as Ctrl + and Ctrl -. Check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Meg, 2 things,

First, I was very remiss yesterday, Welcome to the Lounge and come back often, shame on me!

Second, Ctrl and Mouse Wheel has the same effect as Ctrl + and Ctrl -. Check it out.
    Thanks and
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This fixed window size/variable dpi size is a limiting factor in XP and it was really hoped they would solve this problem in W7, and I think they've made it better, but the implementation still leaves something to be desired.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    This fixed window size/variable dpi size is a limiting factor in XP and it was really hoped they would solve this problem in W7, and I think they've made it better, but the implementation still leaves something to be desired.
    Definitely leaves something to be desired. You're quite right!