Thanks

(SOLVED!) Multiple Ethernet profiles possible?

I have a laptop with Windows 7 Pro x32 installed on it, and while the wireless works fine, I use the Gigabit Ethernet port quite a lot, both for hooking up to other computers to share files rapidly in an ad-hoc LAN, and for simply connecting straight to the modem or router for faster Internet access. Since I have two separate Ethernet setups - one for other computers and one for the Internet - is there a way that I can save these setups to "profiles" or something similar? I know that it is possible on a Mac or Linux machine, so I'm sure Windows 7 has a way to make it work. It would certainly save me a lot of trouble, because I could simply switch between different Ethernet profiles for each situation, rather than having to manually change the Ethernet settings every time I change who, or what, I'm hooking up to.
    Last edited by Diogones; 2011-10-19 at 14:56.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, this can be done.

1) Set up your network config for the first network option you want
    2) Open a command prompt (Start/Run, type CMD, press enter)
    3) Type CD\, press enter so that you are pointed to the root of C:. This is only to make it easier to find the config files we'll create. You can put them somewhere else if you're comfortable with the file system.
    4) At the command prompt, type netsh interface dump > netcfg1.txt, press enter
    5) Change your network settings to your second option
    6) At the command prompt again, type netsh interface dump > netcfg2.txt, press enter
    7) In Explorer, navigate to C:\, right click and select New/Text File, name it SetNetCfg1.bat, make sure that you remove the .txt extension that it will want to use by default.
    8) Right click on the new batch file and select Edit. Enter the following command: netsh -f c:\netcfg1.txt, save the file
    9) Right click on the new batch file, drag it and select copy. Rename the copied file to SetNetCfg2.bat
    10) Right click on the new batch file and select Edit. Enter the following command: netsh -f c:\netcfg2.txt, save the file

You can either run the batch files directly or create shortcuts to them on your desktop.

EDIT: I just want to qualify something, I'm not sure if this works on Win7 or XP home. It does work on Pro and up.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-10-19 at 11:36.
    Chuck

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Brown For This Useful Post:

Diogones (2011-10-19),jockmullin (2011-10-19),RetiredGeek (2011-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanks a lot Doc! Your diagnosis and medicine were spot on! I'm just surprised that I have to use the batch files to swap between the two Ethernet profiles. It's a shame that Windows 7 doesn't have a simple "save network profile" in the Network Connections pane, but at least there is a way to modify Windows to make the multiple setups coexist. Your step by step guide was extremely helpful: two thumbs way up!
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome folks! Diogones, I'm disappointed by the lack of a GUI to do this also. For some reason the networking folks at MS don't seem to think there is a need for this sort of thing on a regular basis. But I see it pretty often.
    Chuck