New Lounger
    Thanks

taskbar problems

Actually i have two different problems, but will list them both here, since someone may be able to answer them both (and thanks in advance)

1. My taskbar at the bootom of the screen used to autohide per the option setup. Now it no longer does even when i have the autohide option checked. I've locked, unlocked, set it on autohide and off without it changing its non responsiveness.

2. (wrong area but....) in outlook from Office 7, when i open a word attachment it suddenly is now showing up as a small strip on left side with a minimal copy of the document that can't be expanded.). I end up having to save and then open the saved copy. Interestingly Excel spreadsheets do not exhibit this behavior.

Barry
    Last edited by doctorbj; 2011-10-18 at 17:18.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Barry,

Welcome to the lounge as a poster!

I can't help you with your immediate problems but I would suggest you remove your email address from your post. It is unwise to post email addresses on social media sites, even here!

P.S. some more info would be helpful such as 64 or 32 bit Windows Seven, which version of 7 HP, Pro, Ultimate. I assume you mean Office 2007?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have removed the email address.

Windows 7 HP and Office 2007

I came back on to add info regarding #2:
    I see now when i hover over WOrd icon the document on left is .odt. Not sure how that happens, but it occurs on all .doc items in email.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Barry,

.odt files are the type used by Open Office now Libre Office in their equivalent of MS Word. Do you have one of these programs installed? It could be Word's conversion of that filetype is having problems.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Barry,

.odt files are the type used by Open Office now Libre Office in their equivalent of MS Word. Do you have one of these programs installed? It could be Word's conversion of that filetype is having problems.
    Don't have that type of program installed. I've looked at everything installed in past month and nothing seems to be likely to cause this.

Barry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Re Task Bar - I've seen these sort of problems

1 - what tool bars are enabled - try disabling all of them - see what happens
    2 - try relocating the task bar RightClick TaskBar->Properties->Taskbar location on the screen - change it to Left, see what happens
    3.- do you have any taskbar tweak tools installed - eg 7TaskBarTweaker, if so kill them - see what happens

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks .odt was resolved on rebooting. Have no idea why it happened.
    Re taskbar-
    I've moved them to sides and top with no change.
    I had it locked now and took out a couple of things on right side and it seems to have gone away. Let's see what happens. Thanks!!

Thanks
    The taskbar won't hide if it thinks one of the icons represents a task requiring your attention, which may be indicated by the fact is is blinking or of a different color than usual. Maybe one of the things you removed on the right was doing that.

It may also happen there is a message window which is hidden behind another window, in which case the taskbar may not hide.

And, of course, if the cursor is at the bottom of the screen (or below) the taskbar will pop up. I have a laptop with a touchpad problem that causes the cursor to sneak away offscreen, and I used to know it went out the bottom when the taskbar would pop up while I was typing. (Solved that by using a mouse).

Jock