Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Bypass the welcome screen?

My friend's laptop has XP with SP3 and all updates installed.

What does she need to do to avoid having to click her User Name when the laptop is booted and every time when she returns to it with the screensaver showing after a period of inactivity?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Roy,

Look into AutoLogon.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

royw (2011-10-19)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the later (screensaver) go to display properties and under Screen Saver untic the On resume, display Welcome screen.
    For startup, click Start, run, and enter control userpasswords2 in the open window and in User Accounts, untic Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinicore For This Useful Post:

royw (2011-10-19)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RetiredGeek and Infinicore,

I used AutoLogon but it would not allow automatic logon unless I set a password for my friend's laptop, and she didn't want me to do so.I then followed the first suggestion of Infinicore's for the screensaver and that worked perfectly.In User Accounts there was no reference to "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"-the only options were to untic the options to use the Welcome Screen and to use Fast User Account Switching.These options were already ticked and I unticked them.
    I then went back to AutoLogon and selected the automatic logon option without entering a password, not expecting this to work,but when I restarted the machine did logon automatically,much to my surprise,so problem solved.Thanks for the help.
    Regards,Roy
    PS.When I entered "control userpasswords2" in the run box and hit enter nothing happened.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You didn't have a password on that account maybe, I have passwords on all mine so I can use remote desktop, but logic would dictate that a user password cannot be controlled if it doesn't exist. Either that or possibly if its not an account with admin privileges.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    My friend's laptop has XP with SP3 and all updates installed.

What does she need to do to avoid having to click her User Name when the laptop is booted and every time when she returns to it with the screensaver showing after a period of inactivity?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy
    Please, talk your friend out of this idea.

A laptop with no user account security, should the laptop go missing any one finding it has full access to all data on the machine, including any auto-login to websites with the "remember me" option checked. ID theft waiting to happen.

If her reason is, "Its to hard for me to remember the password", you should be even more concerned since she may forget the laptop. Set the login password to something easy for her to remember like "(-royismy1gotoguy"-)".

Thanks
    OldGunny, I thought of that as well but it is a trivial exercise to reset the login password if the laptop gets stolen. There are many programs available to do that.

Jerry

Thanks
    Exactomundo!

A password only keeps family members out of your user area. A thief can bypass it with a Bootable CD and a password removal program in less than five minutes.
    I have to do that all the time when people bring me their PC's to work on and forget to give me the Login password.

A password is the biggest annoyance to the person who has to type it in every time they boot up.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    If I remember correctly TweakUI has a setting to by-pass the log-on choice[s] which can be gotten here

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm

I may be mis-remembering but almost certain I am correct. If I am wrong please don't be to harsh with your chastisement
    ErnieK

New Lounger
    Thanks

Use TrueCrypt

I use TrueCrypt for all my confidential data, so need to enter a password only when I want to access that. This keeps it protected from everyone, including boot disks.

It's not hard to use if you set it up for someone intelligently. Just a bit formidable in all the facilities it offers for the paranoid.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erniek View Post
    If I remember correctly TweakUI has a setting to by-pass the log-on choice[s] which can be gotten here

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm

I may be mis-remembering but almost certain I am correct. If I am wrong please don't be to harsh with your chastisement
    Ernie is correct, Roy. Although the one you want is called TwealUIXP. It has a tree view on the left: expand it and you'll see the Autologon option.

Having said that, I urge your friend not to remove all security from the machine - the password is there for a reason. In the case of a laptop, a BIOS password is favourite, as it can't be sidestepped by removing the CMOS battery, as in a desktop machine. If she wants an encryption utility for sensitive stuff, I recommend this - it installs as a shell extension within Windows, so no drives to mount or anything like that.