3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Display "(Multiple Items)" in a pivot table report filter

I'm on Excel 2010 now, but saw the same phenomenon in Excel 2007.
    In the report filter area (f.k.a. Page Area) of a pivot table, you can set it so that you can "Select Multiple Items". Once you do that and select a couple of items, say, when the drop down closes it should say "(Multiple Items)". In addition to displaying a filter icon.
    In Excel 2007, I saw it do that sometimes but not always, and I never nailed down what was going on.
    I've now moved to Excel 2010, and have yet to see it say (Multiple Items). It says (All) - plus the filter icon.
    Anybody have any idea what the story is?

Thanks
    I cannot replicate this "problem". When I do what I think you are describing, It states "(Multiple items)" in the report filter...

Could you attach a sample file which demonstrates it NOT doing it so I can play with it?

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted a reply earlier, but it seems to have gone AWOL. I couldn't replicate the problem either when I tried to create a sample file. However, I think I figured it out now.
    I am creating the pivot tables via VBA code. I have 4 or 5 pivot tables on separate sheets, each based on the same pivot cache. I create the pivot cache and then .CreatePivotTable from the pivot cache. Evidently if you do that without explicitly specifying the version, it defaults to being compatible with Excel2000.
    Once I added DefaultVersion:=xlPivotTableCurrentVersion when creating each pivot table, they all started behaving themselves.
    Kind of obscure, but FYI in case it helps you (or anybody reading this).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ColinBurrows For This Useful Post:

sdckapr (2011-10-20)

Thanks
    Thanks for posting the solution!

Steve