5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit doesn't see all 8 GB of memory

Hi All. Not sure whether this question should be in software or hardware section. My brother has a problem after installing a new Asus motherboard (not sure of model) with an i7 2600k CPU and 8 GB memory installed. But when he open control panel/ system folder it is telling him that he has 64bit windows SP1 but also that he has 8GB memory but only 3.5GB usable. Any idea on what could be causing this? Msconfig has maximum memory unticked and no of cores unticked so isn't that. Has tried with only two sticks in (4GB) but then says usable memory only 2.99GB Any clues would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Read this.
    The search feature on this site works quite well.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Go back in and reseat the RAM modules, ensure that they are firmly in place.
    You should have him boot into the BIOS and check what it has registered.
    Maybe a BIOS update is needed.
    Also ensure that he actualy has the 64 bit version of Windows 7 installed and not the 32 bit version.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    Has tried with only two sticks in (4GB) but then says usable memory only 2.99GB Any clues would be much appreciated.
    "cc",
    Hello...It is possible that there is something up with your "MOBO" Try letting "Crucial" scan your setup ..It will give you a report of the RAM installed and the "Max" for your "MOBO" Crucial Scan Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some RAM may be allocated by your video adapter, whether on-board or on a card. You can find out by selecting "view...detailed performance and system information" using Control Panel's Performance Information and Tools. Mine looks like this.
    Total available graphics memory 2047 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 384 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 1663 MB <==

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tomlang. Have a small query. I ran "detailed performance and system information" as your advice but came up with a puzzling result. On the information page it states directX as version 10, but in DXdiag it states version 11. Which is correct? as cannot trust info in the one that is not.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think you have two issues at hand.

The 1st is the reserved memory for graphics, the 2nd is a BIOS setting on the motherboard.

The system reserved memory will force under reporting of ram. This is probably why you are seeing 2.99GB when you have two sticks installed as tomlang noted.

However, it's not the root cause when you have 8GB installed and the system reports 3.5GB. That is more likely to be a BIOS setting on your motherboard, plus the reserved gfx memory. In the BIOS, look for PAE, Physical Address Extension, Memory Remap, or similar terms. Ensure it is enabled.

This MS support article refers to Vista, but the issue is the same. Take a look in particular at the third bullet point in the workaround section.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-11-01 at 05:43. Reason: To clarify BIOS settings

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: How you checked the validity of the slots your memory is located in. My motherboard specifically told me to use slot0 and slot2 skipping slot 1 for 2 sticks of memory. Also are all the memory sticks absolutely identical?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've noticed that too. If you're running Win7, then I think DXDiag is correct.

Thanks
    For the life of me I can now not find the web page, but I recently came across a page on the Intel site that specifically stated that RAM in excess of 4MB can only be "seen" by Intel chips under windows if the RAM modules are installed in PAIRS and that they are all identical regarding their specifications including number of chips on each each side of each "stick". I will try to find the link and will add it here when/if I do.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The need to install more than one stick of RAM at a time is dependent on the motherboard. You should always check the system documentation for any special requirements in updating system components.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Isn't installing in pairs only required for dual channel capability?

Thanks
    Usually but not in all cases. As Joe suggested, you need to read the system documentation. If you don't have it, its usually available at the system or motherboard vendor's web site.

Jerry