5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

More information on Windows 7's XP Mode

LANGALIST PLUS

More information on Windows 7's XP Mode

By Fred Langa

Responding to my story about setting up Win7's XP Mode, many readers asked how to get XP Mode–like functionality on systems running Vista and Win7 Home Premium.

Related virtualization questions were also on their minds.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/more-information-on-Windows-7's-XP-Mode/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    At the end of your article on 'more information on windows 7's xp mode' you mention "Restoring backups on different hardware," I recommended against it — except in an emergency. I don't know if you are aware of the following product EaseUS® Todo Backup Free 3.0 and it features

New Highlights of EaseUS Todo Backup Free
    • One-click to backup system to easily full back up your system security.
    • One-click to restore system to dissimilar hardware for hardware replacement.
    • WinPE and Linux based bootable disk for easy backup & recovery.
    • Comprehensive backup types - differential & incremental backup.
    • It is free and it does simply backup and restore dissimilar hardware. I have used it to backup a single processor pc (xp) and restore to multi-processor pc's without any problems. Another company 'paragonsoftware' makes the same offer. tks your news letter is great.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Is XP Mode as stable as Win7?

If I decide to run in XP Mode *all* the time, and use Outlook Express 6 within it, will this be as stable (won't crash or lose data) as just using Windows 7 without using XP Mode and using Live Mail (computer version, not online version)?

I have the version of Windows 7 that includes XP Mode.

Thank you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PS I forgot to say, thank you for a *great* and highly useful article! SO much appreciated!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Following on from Fred's column on VMs and XP Mode

Why is it *not* possible to run a virtualised* installation of MacOSX on anything other than a Mac?

We can run Windows, Linux or Mac in a VM on a Mac PC, but we can't run a Mac VM on a Linux or Windows host PC. Seems to me it *should* be possible, but it ain't. Is this Apple's nefarious doing or is there some other reason?

Cheers and thanks, Steven

* Yes that's how we spell it in Australia! Along with colour and centre etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great value

I have had the same machine for over 5 years now, running XP Pro, and over that time have tuned and tweaked and experimented with various utilities - many recommended by Windows Secrets, and even going back to Langalist. I rely on many of them on a near-daily basis - which, indirectly, has turned my office into a sauna. That is to say, I've also moved on with other machines - running Vista (not any more), then Windows 7 in both 32 and 64 bit mode, all sitting by the desk pumping heat into the room, and interwoven with a KVMA switch. This allows me to keep my old machine available, and retain the familiarity and utility of the environment I've created, while moving forward technologically. The old box may be becoming creaky in terms of power, but I hate the thought of losing the efficiency of operating in that familiar environment.

I think that therein lies the value of being able to port an existing OS and app image to a virtual machine. For example, I'm in the process of building a Sandy Bridge i7 2600K Win 7 Pro box with 16 GB memory, SSD, etc. - which should provide all the horsepower I will need for the next 5 years, as well as provide plenty of reserve to run a VM and guest OS. The notion of being able to clone my existing antique setup and run it in the VM - perhaps along with other OS images as well - is compelling. I also have a number of outdated machines in the cellar - kept because of the software I have running on them: CAD, Adobe CS4, etc. - but very power-crippled in terms of the hardware they run on. A 1.7 GHz P4 single thread with 512 MB RAMBUS DRAM (too expensive to upgrade and irrational to waste money on)? Retro to the max. But if I can clone that OS/app image and put it in a VM on the new machine, I can fire it up on demand and do what I would really prefer: donate the old machines to a local community center, reduce the heat in the home office, and have the applications available to me without having to rummage around in the cellar.

Thanks not only for the years of tips, but also for the lead on how to move an existing OS image - apps and all - to a VM on more modern iron. This should be a fun project.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

To Susan Brown's post re ShadowProtect - while it does do virtualization, it also does direct dissimliar restores. I backed up a Sony Vaio and restored it to a Dell Optiplex. I had to provide the chipset driver at restore time. The only real problem I experienced was that the static ip address the pc had, had to be manually changed in the registry, so the "new" ethernet adapter could have the original address. This is just what Wauiler mentioned is available with Easeus' product, too.

Randy

New Lounger
    Thanks

ShadowProtect hardware independent restores

Fred,

ShadowProtect does not virtualize an OS. When restoring to different hardware, it just does an awesome job of having and installing the right versions of drivers and hardware components. They also offer an 'IT' version which allows technicians to 'correct' any restored image to new hardware.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems to me it *should* be possible, but it ain't. Is this Apple's nefarious doing or is there some other reason?
    Yes, Apple does not want you running their OS on any other hardware except that which you purchase from them. Even in 2007-2008 they stood pat and let the golden opportunity of a lifetime pass them by (I think they still do ok : ) when Vista came out and stunk it up.

If I decide to run in XP Mode *all* the time, and use Outlook Express 6 within it, will this be as stable (won't crash or lose data) as just using Windows 7 without using XP Mode and using Live Mail (computer version, not online version)?
    Yes, stability is about the same. Everything is virtualized except for the CD/DVD drive, floppy if it exists, so it depends on the stability of the host OS hardware (video card, network adapter, etc.) for its own stability, and its good to learn or know how to recover the running state of a VM if the host shuts down unexpectedly or if the VM freezes for some reason and you need to do a hard shutdown.
    I like to import XP Mode into VMWare player (abandon VirtualPC) because you get more capability there (better graphics, unlimited virtual hard drive capacity, etc.) and you only need to back up one folder to grab all the contents of the VM. In other words you don't even need an image program, just copy to an external drive to make a backup, that can also be run in any other system running VMWare player by the way.
    One major disadvantage is it will run at a noticeably slower speed unless its put on a speedy SSD.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinicore For This Useful Post:

nevets1 (2011-11-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Networking in XP Mode

Re. Fred's great articles on XP Mode and setting up networking.

I initially had problems in XP Mode seeing the other computers on the local network. The fix was simple - in XP Mode: Tools/Settings/Networking and where it shows 'Shared networking', select the network adapter that is installed in the PC.
    Last edited by jdhibbs; 2011-11-01 at 08:39.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think what you selected is called bridged mode in other virtual machine programs where the virtual adapter gets assigned an I.P. address in line with the DHCP range you currently use and then both your host and vm act as separate computers, even visible to each other as local network computers.