New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2007 won't download new messages

I'm trying to help a co-worker with a problem I can't explain. She has been successfully running Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 for many months. Recently, Outlook started downloading only a single message from the POP3 server (Google) each time she did Send/Receive, even though there were several new messages waiting. Today, Send/Receive stopped downloading any messages at all. No errors are reported. She has not knowingly made any changes to either Outlook or Windows 7. No one else using Outlook and the same mail server is having any problems. Rebooting does not help. Running Outlook in safe mode does not help. The web interface to her email account shows over 20 messages Outlook has not pulled. She can access/manipulate the messages fine via the web interface. She has no problems sending messages from Outlook.

I've never seen anything like this. Any ideas???

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do any of the emails have a particularly large attachment?

Have you checked the pop server address in the account settings?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some of the waiting emails have attachments, most don't. I don't think any of the attachments are exceptionally large.

All of the account settings are unchanged since when it was working normally. But I have re-checked them to be certain. Her settings are the same as mine, and my Outlook is working fine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Has anyone made any changes to firewall settings on her PC to block ports?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    no such changes. Other than what Windows Update might change automatically, nothing has been changed on her PC.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried deleting and recreating the account?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No. but starting today, she's seeing other issues unrelated to Outlook, such as very slow response on normally "instant" tasks. I'm now starting to think that the root problem is deeper in the system, outside of Outlook, and for some unknown reason, Outlook incoming email happened to be the first symptom. Perhaps the most straightforward solution is to do a fresh backup of her files, then wipe the machine and do a fresh Windows install. That should clear things up - if not, blame the hardware.