Lounger
    Thanks

New Win7 Pro System Can't Access All Newtwork Drives

My home network consists of 3 desktop Window 7 Pro systems (2 - 64 bit & 1 - 32 bit), an older laptop running XP Pro 32 and an observatory computer running XP Pro 32 for now. All but laptop are wired LAN on gigabit switches. The latest build is a new Windows 7 Pro 64 system that has Internet connectivity and can see all the computers in the workgroup (MSHOME). The issue with the new system is that it only has access to some of the networked computers hard drives. That being that the Office system has C, D, E, and J hard drives which are all shared and work fine on all the other systems. The new computer only sees D and E hard drives.

All settings under network advanced settings are correct. Network Discovery is on, File and Printer Sharing is on, public folder sharing is on, file sharing is set for 40/56 bit, password protection is off, HomeGroup connections is set for user accounts (there are no active homegroups).

I've checked all drives and all are shared between the other computer without issue. Only this new system is not able to access some drives. I've been fooling with this for days without any luck. Suggestions greatfully accepted.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks
    Steve, welcome to the Lounge.

Perhaps this How To Geek article may help to solve your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted,

I appreciate the reply but have to say that setting up the other computers, two of which are Windows 7, I've never had to jump through these hoops. As long as all the drives were set up to be shared I've had no issues till now. Even then, some of the "Office" hard drives are seen and two aren't although they are seen on the rest of the network, including another Windows 7 computer. Adding the printer was straight forward by using Devices & Printers/Add a Printer and following the script for adding a network printer. That said I should mention that that printer is an Epson Workforce 840 network printer and the software was installed on this computer as should be for it's proper use. But I also added my Epson Stylus Photo R800 which is not a network printer but rather connected directly to my "Office" computer. It to is available by any other computer on my system as a shared printer just using the same "Add Printer" routine.

Somehow I feel there is something else going on here.

Thanks Again,
    Steve

Lounger
    Thanks
    Due to some other issue I decided to do a new install. What I found interesting is that although the boot sequence was DVD first and HD second, with the Windows 7 dvd in the DVD it would get to the screen to "press any key to boot" the USB keyboard was not reactive. What I ended up doing was executing the install from within Windows 7 and going from there. This created a new install and put the old insatall in a folder called "WindowsOld" or was it "OldWindows".

At any rate, the new install had no issue seeing any network computer or shared drives. All printers are also seen. Just thought I'd post my solution and results to end this thread.

Steve