3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Finally looking to upgrade from XP Pro to 7 but which version?

I'm looking to go to the 64 bit. I looked at the MS site and I have to get the Professional version which means I have to get a copy for all my computer which is absurd that would be over $600.00 dollars so I can run my existing 32 bit programs. Is there away around this?

Marc

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Every Windows version will run 32 bit apps the same way. Some may not work, but I haven't found a single one that did that. I suppose you wanted to go with Pro because you'd get XP mode, but there are alternatives to XP mode (you could run Virtual Box, for example).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Check Marc View Post
    I'm looking to go to the 64 bit. I looked at the MS site and I have to get the Professional version which means I have to get a copy for all my computer which is absurd that would be over $600.00 dollars so I can run my existing 32 bit programs. Is there away around this?
    Marc,
    Hello... I know that I'm going to take a "Flogging" for posting this. But.... What reason is it that your wanting to Upgrade to "7"? I have just recently installed XP-Pro \ 32 and run it in a multi-boot scheme with Vista, and "7" with a mix of 32 \64 OS's.... And except for the "Eye Candy" and XP-Pro's slow boot up, there is no perceivable difference..in OS's.( you can even tweak XP to look like Vista or "7") If you have a good security strategy, and thing's are running correctly there is no advantage. I would consider upgrading RAM if needed (4GB Max) then XP-Pro runs like a (borrowing a phrase from DR.Who) "Scalded Dog"

Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys! I just upgraded XP to 4 gig of Ram it it made a big difference. I'm smart enough not to open the emails that have See the ... nude in the subject line. Having the latest greatest is not a big deal to me but there is so hype but with this I'll just keep crusin' along with what I have!

Thanks,

Marc

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there away around this?
    Yes, but, you'd have to come to the dark side Luke. Probably don't want to do that.
    Is there some compelling reason you want or need to make this move? If not, maybe just try one upgrade disc from Newegg or somewhere you can get it a bit cheaper than from MS directly.
    As mentioned all your 32 bit programs should work fine, most of mine do (exception; those programs that are just incompatible with W7 no matter the flavor like audio recording using my old trusty RecordPad) and some date back to 1998, so if the Pro worked you might be able to get a family pack of the Home Premium version for the others and save some money there.

If there is no compelling reason; I use W7 and XP side by side every day, and I use them pretty hard and to me there's only a few drops of difference between them as far a productivity and performance goes and that nod goes to XP, just for small things but to me important things that are restricted or missing from 7.
    Of course the other side of the coin is that Microsoft is diligently trying to antiquate XP by not allowing some of their new software offerings to run on XP. Which is where third party software plays such a detrimental role in thwarting Microsoft's plans, and XP would not be so strong for so long without it. Its like, oh no, MS won't let me run I.E.9 on XP...hello Chrome!

Thanks
    Windows-7-Volume-Licensing-Quick-Reference.docx

Microsoft Volume Licensing Home Page

If you plan to buy five or more software licenses, Microsoft offers price advantages for volume purchasing. Discover how Microsoft Volume Licensing can help your organization realize its goals and find out what customers and analysts have to say.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-20 at 11:01.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To buy multiple license is absurd to me when I can only be on one computer at a time. OK so right now I'm on the on in the office and using another in the living room that I network with the one in the office so I can listen to my music on my audio system if you want to count that as being on two computer at the same time go for it. The one int he living could easily be convert to uBuntu and the issue be resolved.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Marc,

If you're not on a business (domain) network, you probably don't need Win 7 Pro. Since you don't seem to be in a hurry to install Win 7, here's what I would do & have done: check the sales (e.g., Fry's & Newegg) for a good price on a Win7 "Family Pack" (3-pack); these are issued periodically by Microsoft as a promotion. They are generally ~$120 for 3 installs; buy 2 packs if you have 4 to 6 computers. If there's a better price for "upgrades," do it (can do completely new install from upgrade disc - see Paul Thuriott). ???Should you go with Win 7?? Yes!!

Zig

Thanks
    I also have to say yes to Win 7. I would consider what you are going to use your PC for. If you have to provide extra encryption then Ultimate (Bit Locker), XP Mode needs Pro or above, but for most home use, Home Premium works fine. My wife uses HP very effectively. Definitely go with 64 Bit. 32 Bit is limited to a little over 3 GB Ram. When tweaked nicely, I believe Win 7 is more secure and just as quick as XP and has more features not available on XP.

The other possibility is to wait another year or so and go with Win 8. The Win 8 Dev Preview can be had now. Perhaps dual boot it with XP and play for a while and see what you think. Check the Windows 8 Forum for some in depth discussion on this new OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy