Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hoax calls from "Microsoft"

I don't know whether this is a problem in the USA, but it is in the UK. Most days now I receive a phone call, asking for me by name, no caller ID other than "International", from someone with an Indian accent, male and female, claiming to be calling from Microsoft. Sometimes it is "Microsoft Technical Service", sometimes "Windows Registration Department". A friend was taken in by this hoax, and persuaded to download some file that took control of her computer, which is now away being cleansed.

If you don't have a support issue open with Microsoft, they will NEVER call you, please don't be taken by these fraudsters.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

baboon (2011-11-09),Just Plain Fred (2011-10-20)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Who would you have given contact details to that someone has managed to nick? In fact, why would you give anyone your details?

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    I don't know whether this is a problem in the USA, but it is in the UK. Most days now I receive a phone call, asking for me by name, no caller ID other than "International", from someone with an Indian accent, male and female, claiming to be calling from Microsoft. Sometimes it is "Microsoft Technical Service", sometimes "Windows Registration Department". A friend was taken in by this hoax, and persuaded to download some file that took control of her computer, which is now away being cleansed.

If you don't have a support issue open with Microsoft, they will NEVER call you, please don't be taken by these fraudsters.
    John,
    Hello, and thank you for the "Heads Up" I'm sure that this will be of help ... Many "Newbies" could be "taken In " by this.. Especially older (Me) non PC savvy people.Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have had two custs in Canada in the last month taken in by these guys. They start right off with "I see you are having trouble with your computer", which is a great line because everyone always is. Then they exude competence to such a degree they convince the user to give them remote access and install spyware.

One of my custs caught on quickly and said he was going to call his tech support guy (me) - at which point the caller just hung up. The other let them in, got rootkits on her laptop and two other computers on her network, her router reconfigured and email accounts cancelled for sending spam. Took 2 days to clean it all up.

Hard to charge enough for such wasted time.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very common here in BC Canada as I get the calls as do most of my contacts. Microsoft will not call you unless you previously initiated the call. Best way to handle this is to tell the Indian that "OK but my computer is very slow and takes several minutes to turn on. Do you want me to turn it on?" He will obviously ask you to do that. Then just leave the phone and carry on with your everyday routine for half an hour. If he is still online after that time tell him it is nearly there and ditto. Lester

Thanks
    After extensive research, tracking and hacking, I finally found the booger.....

A predator drone has been called in, as soon as it's done in Libya.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, they are scamming us here in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I have had three phone calls from them so far. The last call I received, I just told them I had a MAC (not true). That stumped them.

Thanks
    Doc, very funny!

This might actually be close to true, who knows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a world wide problem. I've had at least 6 or 7 calls and my wife got one fortunately when I was home. The best way to handle this was carried out by a WindowsBBS forum member who kept the Asian talking on the phone for 30 minutes! He kept asking the Asian to repeat the question/instruction saying he couldn't understand what was being said.
    The conversation finally ended with the Asian guy blowing his cool and swearing over the phone. They do of course expect you to pay for their services and currently they ask in NZ for $60.00 to put a trojan/key logger/virus in your computer.
    We have a whistle by the phone to blast and end the scam. Take care out there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why keep them on the line to antagonize them? Just hang up

Mel

Thanks

There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of information supporting these scammers specifically asking for people by name when they call.
    Let's not over play it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually I'm not sure it's possible to overplay it - it's worldwide and it's getting worse, and there's plenty of information showing that they often ask for people by name. I've researched a few threads such as this one http://money-watch.co.uk/7118/beware...ows-phone-scam where many people are reporting being pestered by these scammers and there are new additions to the thread every day. I myself have been suffering many calls and they always ask for me by name apart from one genius who asked for my wife (I was divorced a year ago!). At its worst about 4-8 weeks ago I was getting around 6 calls a day and sometimes more. I'm an internet consultant so I can spot a scam a mile off but there must be a great many who are taken in or at best scared by this, let alone the amount of lost time and blood pressure it causes.

It doesn't seem to matter what you say to them they persist. I've tried telling them I know it's a scam, I've tried shouting at them, I've threatened them with prosecution on the occasions when it was a UK number, I've told them that as an SEO I can publicise their activities and get their sites to rank for "scam", I've ignored the calls, I've tried the whistle technique. Nothing deters them - I even had one who vindictively repeat called me every couple of minutes for hours late one night just to annoy me after I called him a criminal.

I only moved into this house a year ago and my details are withheld from the electoral register so they shouldn't have got my name from there. The phone company tell me that my details are "ex-directory by default" but I know that they are publicly available on the 192.com site. I'm planning on changing my phone number but I'm not confident that will stop them. I AM confident that this is now a major problem of international criminal activity and that it appears that national police forces are powerless to stop it while the phone companies pretend there isn't a problem. I'd like to see national bodies like the UK telecomms ombudsman admitting how serious it is (if they even know - their site for reporting any issues is very off-putting) and trying to instigate cross-border action about it and get the telecomms companies to address the issue from a filtering perspective.

Thanks
    MS has finally admitted (this was either beginning of last week or end of week before) that this is a problem and they have known about this, I hesitate to call it a scam as it does a lot of damage if let into your PC, for quite a few months but refused to admit that it is a problem until recently.

I have personally had two calls, one of them cut of when I spoke to him (in a gentle voice as this ensures no repeat of "billmarshal's" experience of vindictive behaviour. The second one cut of when I think he recognised my voice (I have a distinctive - NOT distinguished - voice) so it must have been him the first time. Made a mistake in calling same number twice in 24 hour period.

Just say that the PC owner is away on holiday and you cannot touch his PC. This gets rid of them without any backlash.
    ErnieK

Thanks
    One would think that being called specifically by name by these hoax telephone scammers should be far more concerning than the calls themselves.
    This would indicate a far more directed and intrusive form of telephone scam than previously random scamming.

The fact that scammers like this, if it is indeed true, are calling you by name should make you wonder how they are getting your name & number in the first place.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Even in Oz

This scam is also rampant here in Australia. I've had several such calls and know of some people who've actually been taken in by the scammers.

My way of dealing with them is to ask them what version of Windows I'm using, which they would know if they were actually 'seeing' my Windows installation as they claim. They have to admit they don't know, so I tell them I don't believe they're from MS and ask them not to call again.

This seems to have worked, as I haven't had one of their calls for some months now. (Touch wood!)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast