Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows Live Movie Maker

I have two videos that are the same subject but one of them has additional content that I would like to add to the other.

Is there a way to show two videos side by side so they can be compared to each other and content can be cut out and added to the other video?

Thanks guys..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well you can always play two videos side by side with two different media players and then take notes about scenes you want to add and where when you get it to an editor.
    Windows Live MM does not accommodate multiple tracks does it? If you used an editor that did you might stack them and then turn down the opacity on the overlay track so you could see both at the same time and be able to mark clip segments to add and make insertion splits in the video they were to be added to. In most more capable editors one can even resize and move the video layers temporarily so they can indeed be previewed side by side in the scrub window, making it even easier to distinguish scenes and make adjustments.

If there were quite a few clips to add to the other video I think my approach for WLMM would be to play them side by side and take notes, then edit out the clips to be added from that video first then add the other video in front of the clips (so you have accurate time marks on that video also) and make insertion cuts and cut and paste the appropriate clip into it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I have two videos that are the same subject but one of them has additional content that I would like to add to the other.

Is there a way to show two videos side by side so they can be compared to each other and content can be cut out and added to the other video?

Thanks guys..
    If you have 2 pc's one being a laptop, run one on each.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have 2 pc's one being a laptop, run one on each.
    Thought of that and decided the problem was still going to be that you have to get them together on one system to actually edit and produce...so it would be good for the preliminary work, especially if a system was a bit underpowered and couldn't handle two videos at once, but then that system also wouldn't be the greatest video editor to use either.

Thanks
    Well, thanks guys for the suggestions.
    I can run two sessions of Movie Maker but it's still gonna be a pain to do..

It seems the thumbnail views are all the same image from the movie...It would be a lot easier if the individual movie frames were visible.

I will play with it today...

Thanks
    Well, I can't seem to run two versions of Movie maker at the same time..

How do you run two versions at the same time ???

Thanks

Thanks guys..
    Just thought, make a copy of it.

Thanks
    Make a copy of what?

Thanks
    The one that has additional content.

Thanks
    I don't have any problem with copies.
    The problem is that the videos are identical except for some additional content that I would like to take from one and add to the other.

If the content that i wanted to move from one to another was that different then it would be easy to do but the content is about the same in each one....

Maybe this will make it easier to understand...

Both videos are of a cam mounted in a trolley car so you can understand that the entire video is of this trolley car ride.
    So there isn't much noticeable difference when viewing them Because of that, if both videos could be run at the same time then it would be easy to cut and paste the content from one to another..

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems the thumbnail views are all the same image from the movie
    I forgot about that! That's what happened to me when I was recording the Prohibition doc from PBS, when I put it in WLMM I had to scroll to locate scenes because the thumbnails were the same until I cut it somewhere. Thank goodness I only had to make cuts beginning and end.

As I said earlier, I think the only way (that I know of) using WLMM is to play the videos in media players first and make your own time check notes, if its more than say 20 or 25 checks where you want to paste in content, that's going to be quite tedious, less than that, maybe not so bad.
    Then once you have your "cheat sheet" of time checks you open the video to be sliced and diced in WLMM and quickly locate those scenes based on your time checks (WLMM does have those right? I think it did...hope) and delete all the other parts of the video.
    Then you load the video to be added to in front of the clips you extracted from the other video, so time checks are still valid on unedited video (no longer care about time checks on the clips). Locate each insertion point and cut it, then start inserting each clip in order; you have to make all the cuts first or again, the time checks get screwed up after the first insertion. That would also be a good quality control check since when you're done, number of cuts should exactly equal the number of clips you have ready to insert (unless you are inserting more than one clip back to back; adjust appropriately).

So that's the only way I know to do it when working with one video track. If you have a ton of clips to add, maybe a free trial of one of the multitrack video editors would serve your purpose better, if the trial doesn't lay down a watermark on the video or something like that.

VideoSpin from Pinnacle is free and would divide your video into scenes so you could see them better, but its just a starter version designed to get interest in the full product, so it doesn't do multiple video tracks; but you might be able to have the master video loaded into the timeline (after its been scene detected) and select clips from the video you only want clips from and drag them down into the proper position (after it has also been scene detected but not yet added to the timeline). That I think would work better, but it is dependent on how successful the scene detection is...continuous transitions don't detect so well.

Thanks
    I don't have any problem with copies.
    The problem is that the videos are identical except for some additional content that I would like to take from one and add to the other.

If the content that i wanted to move from one to another was that different then it would be easy to do but the content is about the same in each one....

Maybe this will make it easier to understand...

Both videos are of a cam mounted in a trolley car so you can understand that the entire video is of this trolley car ride.
    So there isn't much noticeable difference when viewing them Because of that, if both videos could be run at the same time then it would be easy to cut and paste the content from one to another..
    Do you need to copy some content from disc A to disc B, then copy different content from disc B to disc A ?

Thanks
    Thanks guys...I'll check out your suggestions and take a look at Video Spin...That may be the solution...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

'nother free one to check out. Haven't used it but it looks like it has two preview windows, probably for something like 3D maybe but who knows, might be just the ticket. I'll have to download it and check it out.

Thanks
    Thanks Infini...I'll check that out also..

Like I said earlier, I really don't do much video stuff..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast