Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 Pausing an Email Sent

Can one set up Outlook to pause and ask if one really wants to send the e-mail BEFORE it goes out (i.e., allow time to double check recipient list)?

Thanks
    Yes. You can create a Visual Basic procedure that runs every time you click the Send button. Here's a rough outline.

In Outlook press Alt+F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

On the left, there usually is a Project pane with + buttons that let you expand various branches of the project tree. If that is not displayed, use View > Project Explorer to display it.

Expand until you find this module and double-click it:

Project > Microsoft Outlook Objects > ThisOutlookSession

Paste this code code into the module:

Code:
    Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
    ' This should run only for mail items...
    If Item.Class <> olMail Then Exit Sub
    ' Send double-checker
    If MsgBox("Is this message good to go?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo) <> vbYes Then
        Cancel = True
    Else
        Cancel = False
    End If
    End Sub
    Then choose Debug > Compile to check for errors. Hopefully, no errors.

Now, you are ready to test. Flip back to the Outlook window and create a message to yourself for testing.

When you click Send, it should give you an opportunity to cancel the send. Does it work?

If it works, make sure to save your procedure. Use the save button (or File > Save) in the VB Editor.

One possible issue: if Outlook doesn't let you run your own VB procedures, your security settings may need to be loosened. Back in Outlook, under File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings button, Macro Settings, choose the "Notifications for all Macros." When you start Outlook, you will be prompted to allow macros.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

lmo (2011-10-23)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Another thing you can do, which I have my Outlook configured to do, is to add a rule that delays the sending for about 2 minutes. This is especially useful when you wanted to attach a file and forgot to do it. You can just go to the Outbox, open the message and edit it again. This also allows you do add text to the message, something I sometimes find myself doing, because of a little more thinking after clicking Send.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

lmo (2011-10-23)