Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Windows 8 - Back to School

Hello All,

Well now that I'm back home and out of the "Box on Wheels" I decided to give the Win 8 Developer's Preview (32 Bit) a go.
    Did the whole imaging thing first even though it's on my play around machine I want to be able to get back to my XP/Ubuntu dual boot when I'm done.

I checked out the HW requirements and it seemed my old Dell 9100 would fit the bill, just!

First off I was pleasantly surprised by the install procedure. Answer a couple of questions and it just does it's thing and a lot quicker than previous versions. I'm also quite suprised by the agile feel of the interface on this Intel Pentium 4 CPU at 3GHz and only 3 Gb of memory.

Only one installation problem. It defaulted the screen to 800x600 and the Metro Interface doesn't work until you get to 1024x768 I found out after clicking and not getting any responses. I got it reset and everything is honkey dorey. Installation size 41Gb.

It seems that MS has changed the way Windows assigns drive letters {more relearning}.
    Drive 0 Part 0 {Dell partition} No drive letter (same as XP & 7).
    Drive 0 Part 1 {Win 8 Install} C:
    Drive 1 Parts 0-5 {Linux disks} No Drive letters
    Drive 1 part 6 {My Data Drive} E:
    Drive 2 Part 0 {Maxtor III USB drive} D:
    DVD Drive {Windows Install Disk} F:
    CD/RW {No Disk} No Drive letter and does not show up in Windows Partition Manager app!. Even after a restart!

Having a hard time getting used to the Windows Key as the Exit key for the tiled apps. (Took me a while to figure that one out, I was using Task Manager to kill em!)

Although MSE/Defender is builtin to Win 8 it does NOT show it self except in the Task Manager!

The good stuff:
    Win 8 found the entire network including my WD NAS and Brother Networked Printer. Since I used the same UID/Password combo as my main computer I even had access to the folders shared on it. Although I have changed the Workgroup name changed on my main computer Win 8 still hooked up to it even though its work group name is still "Workgroup".

Just did a restart. After logging in I get a popup of the Creative Software AutoUpdate...nice? Well maybe, it offers me a new driver for my SB-Live but won't give me the Install button until I accept the "RECOMMENDED" music organizer...nice now you can't get drivers w/o crap-ware!

That's All Folks! ... for now.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, welcome back to the real world. Hope you had a fantastic time on your trip. As I stated I would love to do that after retirement.

Take a look at some of the discussions on Windows 8 Forums as well.

I for one turned the Metro interface off. You will find the method listed for doing this. The interface needs some work (this is a pre-beta release so this is expected). MS has already announced some changes to that interface based on user feedback. I am actually writing this response from Win 8 DP. I have had to make some minor changes on the ways I do this, but like I said, it is early in the release.

So far my experience is that this OS is a keeper. I love how fast it boots, even when using the Boot Loader to choose between Win 7 and Win 8. It just boots fast, love it!. I looks and feels very similar to my Win 7. My choice to set it up this way. I just had problems with Metro. Perhaps in a later release.

So far all the apps I have installed work fine. I have not tried all the apps I use in Win 7, but all I have tried work. I am very much looking forward to the beta release with some of the changes already mentioned.

Hope you have as much fun playing as I have!
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-10-21 at 15:48. Reason: spelling
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Today I tried to use my CD/RW drive and it seems that Win 8 will not recognize it. It doesn't show in the Device Manager or Explorer.

It does show in the BIOS as active and I can boot the Macrium Reflect Windows PE Recovery disk (ver 5) so I know the drive works.

The drive is a TSST Corp CD-RW Model TS-H292B this was a stock drive in the Dell 9100 along with the Sony DVD-ROM which Win 8 recognized just fine.

I'm currently installing MS Office 2003 Pro, yes from the DVD drive. More later.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I have a shortcut to the DVD drive on my desktop. When I click on it, it asks me to insert a disk, so it appears to be working. What kind of CD/DVD's does it not recognize? Perhaps I can attempt to duplicate here. It also works when my Win 8 DP or Acronis DVD's are inserted.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted,

Thanks for the offer. However, it's not media it doesn't recognize it's the Drive Windows does not see.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The installation of Office 2003 Pro went off w/o a hitch. It placed tiles on the Metro screen for all the Apps plus VBA Certificates, Clip organizer, Picture Organizer, Office Application Recovery, and Documentation. However, it did NOT place any icons on the Desktop!

When you run one of the applications it first opens the Desktop then runs the program, however when you exit the application it leaves you in the Desktop not the Metro page where you started from.

Upon opening an Access Database it warned me about unsafe objects (it contains VBA code) and the need for Jet 4.0 however the link to download it does not take you to where you need to be to do so. I'll have to find it manually and hope it is compatible w/Win 8.

P.S. the search function isn't so good at finding things like Disk Drive Management and help topics like "Change Drive Letters" returned a bunch of results none of which were relevant!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I have gone ahead and reenabled the Metro UI. My justification can be seen here.

Have you indexed the OS sufficiently to show results you need in search? The apps list is going to be changed in the beta from alphabetized to some sort of app type senario. This has come about because of user feedback about it being hard to find an app in the list of apps. I actually have a tile on my Start Menu (Metro) for Computer Management. Right click the app on the list of apps. When I go back into Win 8 DP I will investigate further.

MyMetroUI.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-10-22 at 09:34.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I just noticed that Win 8 Task Manager no longer has the ShutDown button/option. Curiously, I checked Win 7 (interesting that I haven't had to use this in 7 on 3 different machines...speaks volumes!) and lo and behold it's not there either...

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just noticed that Win 8 Task Manager no longer has the ShutDown button/option. Curiously, I checked Win 7 (interesting that I haven't had to use this in 7 on 3 different machines...speaks volumes!) and lo and behold it's not there either...
    Yessir, another one of the little things...is so easy to control an XP system remotely and shut down or restart after installing something requiring it, gotta be proficient with a little command line action or scripting or know a good little widget that will do it on W7...or just leave the damn thing running.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Win8 DP, Win7 & Vista: Ctrl-Alt-Del then Shutdown/Restart as required.

compared to -

XP: Ctrl-Alt-Del > opens Task Manager then Shutdown/Restart as required.

Thanks
    I added Shutdown and Restart icons to both the Desktop and pinned then to the Metro Start Menu. You can actually see both in my post #7
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win8 DP, Win7 & Vista: Ctrl-Alt-Del then Shutdown/Restart as required.
    Sure, that works in person, but again, when on remote, it does not have that option, you get the client Ctrl-Alt-Del, which is of course how it should work in case one gets locked into full screen remote for some reason, but then in the server...the option has been removed from the task manager in Win7, and it sounds like Vista and W8 DP as well.

Ted's method looks like a continuation of one way to restore that option now, something that a desktop widget would configure automatically.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    err...I don't quite understand (not unusual really).

Are you saying your RDP client does not have the ability to insert a ctrl-alt-del sequence into the server?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I don't know if it lacks the ability entirely, usually there's some way of accomplishing anything, but via Ctrl-Alt-Del it sends only to the client.
    Many VMs and other remote desktop programs have a menu item or icon to introduce the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence to the server independently, and maybe RDP has an equally easy and independent way as well, but I don't know about it, but I do know how easy it is in XP...right click, click, click, click. I've been going command line on W7 systems.
    Unfortunately I'm hooked on Microsoft's RDP since it blows everything else I've tried out of the water on a local network, over the Internet it wouldn't matter, then the client with the most usable features and best sustained connectivity would win out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    On a Windows 7, when using RDP, clicking the Orb will show you the usual menu with a new option, Windows Security, just above the Log off button. If you click this option, you get a screen similar to the one you get when you use Ctrl+Alt+Del on Windows 7. At the bottom right of this screen, there is a red button that will give you several options, including Restart.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Infinicore (2011-10-27)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast