New Lounger
    Thanks

VirtualBox and Portability?

The latest newsletter on VirtualBox is excellent, but I have a somewhat different slant on using it. I have applications and data I carry from home to office and back on a TrueCrypt-encrypted virtual drive. I've noticed that even some of the supposedly-portable apps do not necessarily carry all their data back and forth (e.g. passwords) and would like to put them on a virtual machine that I can use in both environments.

Any suggestions on how to set this up in both places so it works? I have a spare WinXP Pro license key I'm more than willing to "burn" for this project. Any suggestions welcome.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well portable apps especially don't carry data, they don't install anything, that's why they're portable. If they are your systems and you use the apps all the time, you probably want to install the apps. If using someone else's system or you only use the program once in a blue moon or so and its always being updated, then yeah, keep them portable.

Otherwise, yes, you can run duplicate VMs in different systems, especially if they use the same type of host OS. I use VMWare Player but it should be the same process where you install to the VM through VirtualBox as if you were installing XP Pro on a real system, activate and install programs and all that good stuff, and then copy the VM and take it to work (or vice versa) and open that VM there on VirtualBox. If its like VMWare Player it'll ask if this was moved or copied, I say copied and it makes the changes it has to and you should be up and running.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Obviously I'll need to set up an experimental copy and see whether it's more inconvenient to deal with "copied or moved" twice a day. Once when I arrive at work and once when I arrive at home. Fortunately I have admin access to both my work and home machines and don't need "portable everywhere.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    see whether it's more inconvenient to deal with "copied or moved" twice a day
    The copied VM setup would be a one time configuration...then you would have two identical VMs in both locations until you started making changes to one or the other during normal use. I have as many as 4 that were copied from the original running independently in other systems, and that original was produced from a normal install using Paragon'g GoVirtual program.
    Fresh installs like you are proposing work the best however...I took me three separate attempts to get a VM from an install that works as good as a fresh install.