Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Box

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virtual Box

Hello Everyone-I am trying to run a version of virtual box on my sony vaio VGNNW240F model laptop with a T6600 processor, but my processor does not allow VT for virtual box. Is there another program I can use similar to virtual box that does not require the VT in the processor?

Thanks
    You have to set your bios to allow virtualization. On my Sony Vaio VGN-FW465J that meant a bios update. According to Intel virtualization is not available as you suspected so I am not positive but I suspect you cannot utilize virtualization. I also do not see a Bios update for your PC from Sony. They have a MB chipset update, but not Bios so I suspect your are out of luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah. I also have another laptop, but its chip does not do the virtualization either. I know this is probably a dumb question, but do you need to have a chip with virtualization to do use any virtual environment program.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think Virtual PC won't require that, if you are not using Windows 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I'm running Virtual PC (XP mode) on a Win7 Ultimate PC that does not support hardware virtualization.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Isn't virtual PC on win7 professional or higher?

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can run Virtual PC 2007 on Vista or XP.

Thanks
    This may be a later version of Virtual PC, but according to this MS site:

Windows Virtual PC
    In order to download Virtual PC only, please follow the steps below. Supported guest operating systems include Windows XP Service Pack (SP3) Professional, Windows Vista Enterprise and Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate.

According to this statement you would need Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate editions. Seba does not actually state which version he uses, so who knows if this will work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think even the latest version of Virtual PC no longer requires hardware virtualization, but it is available for Windows 7 only. Virtual PC 2007 is the previous version, usable on older Microsoft OSes.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    This may be a later version of Virtual PC, but according to this MS site:

Windows Virtual PC
    In order to download Virtual PC only, please follow the steps below. Supported guest operating systems include Windows XP Service Pack (SP3) Professional, Windows Vista Enterprise and Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate.

According to this statement you would need Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate editions. Seba does not actually state which version he uses, so who knows if this will work.
    Those are the guest OSes (i.e. the OS inside the VM).

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have win7 home Premium. Will I be able to use Virtual PC? What I want to do is download and install win7 ultimate in a virtua environment and see how it handles my hardware?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Virtual PC 2007 can be installed on XPHome-SP3 but as I remember will not give you USB support.

However, VirtualBox does.

And it does not require hardware virtualization as you can see here: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10.html#hwvirt

S
    tick with Virtualbox and deactivate hardware virtualization in the virtual machine setup.

I even have a WfW3.11 running on DOS7.0, with sound, SVGA, internet, network-drives, the whole lot. 8-)

Their latest version comes preconfigured for installing Windows 8.

/\
    \7erard

Thanks
    This article just states that Virtual Box May or may not need hardware virtualization depending on the hardware configuration. On my Sony this was necessary and I suspect it would be in the OP's case. This causes VB to be unavailable on our hardware without the hardware virtualization.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    This article just states that Virtual Box May or may not need hardware virtualization depending on the hardware configuration.
    I beg to differ, that's not an article, it's the manual of VirtualBox and it doesn't depend on the hardware, it depends on the OS you are trying to run. ;-)

And it states:
    • As opposed to other virtualization software, for many usage scenarios, VirtualBox does not require hardware virtualization features to be present. Through sophisticated techniques, VirtualBox virtualizes many guest operating systems entirely in software. This means that you can run virtual machines even on older processors which do not support hardware virtualization.
    Even though VirtualBox does not always require hardware virtualization, enabling it is required in the following scenarios:
    • Certain rare guest operating systems like OS/2 make use of very esoteric processor instructions that are not supported with our software virtualization. For virtual machines that are configured to contain such an operating system, hardware virtualization is enabled automatically.
    • VirtualBox's 64-bit guest support (added with version 2.0) and multiprocessing (SMP, added with version 3.0) both require hardware virtualization to be enabled. (This is not much of a limitation since the vast majority of today's 64-bit and multicore CPUs ship with hardware virtualization anyway; the exceptions to this rule are e.g. older Intel Celeron and AMD Opteron CPUs.)
    /\
    \7erard
    Last edited by Sr.Gerard; 2011-10-26 at 06:42.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seba View Post
    I know this is probably a dumb question, but do you need to have a chip with virtualization to do use any virtual environment program.
    No, you don't. O:-)

/\
    \7erard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast